INCREASED RAIL FARES!

pinfireman

Jeremy Corbyn has predictably boarded the outrage train over the 3.1% rail fare increase announced this morning, branding it “disgraceful” and taking the opportunity to push his nationalisation agenda. At least he isn’t still on holiday like last year…

Corbyn says Labour are “campaigning all over the country today on this”. Will Labour also be campaigning in Wales and Merseyside, where rail fare increases are fully devolved to the Labour-controlled local authorities but have still been raised by over 3%? Classic Labour hypocrisy…

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep defo worth asking him. 

I understood that the devolved rail bodies boasted enhanced performance , reliability (delays down 12 %) and satisfaction (up from 73% to 92%) since devolution. I think merseyside has consistently had 90% customer satisfaction since 2008. I thought Scotland has had £800m on five new lines. I think Sadiq has held underground prices? Sounds like a pretty good overall track ( 🙂) record to me? 

I doubt the success or otherwise is anything to do with which political party has the reigns more about the skill of the jockey? 

53 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

The same jezza who sat on the floor of an empty virgin train as there were no seats?The same jezza who said he'd get rid of student debt and then denied it. I  don't believe a word he says. 

Jezza or any politician? 

Corbyn ??    He's never done a proper job in his life and wouldn't qualify to brush gutters in my opinion. He has sucked off the public purse for decades. 

There is no such thing as cheap transport these days. There was a day back in the 40s and 50s where I could cycle down to Polesworth Station, leave my bike safe and sound on the cycle rack and pay 6 pence for a return to Tamworth to be able to stand and cover two intersecting lines as I ticked off the trains in my Spotters Book, knowing full well my bike would still be there when i returned.  Those days have gone never to return, get used to it.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, oowee said:

I understood that the devolved rail bodies boasted enhanced performance , reliability (delays down 12 %) and satisfaction (up from 73% to 92%) since devolution. I think merseyside has consistently had 90% customer satisfaction since 2008. I thought Scotland has had £800m on five new lines. I think Sadiq has held underground prices? Sounds like a pretty good overall track ( 🙂) record to me? 

I doubt the success or otherwise is anything to do with which political party has the reigns more about the skill of the jockey? 

The word is "boasted"........................

3 hours ago, oowee said:

All that extra  reliability and performance that you boast, yet they STILL put up prices in line with the rest of the rail network?

hello, while listening to Mr Vine a chap came on and said it cost more to get to Luton Airport on the train with a journey of about 10 miles than it was to get to Portugal by plane at 1.200 miles, i feel sure everyone who buys a ticket to go by train some of the money is going to HS2 ? or am i being cynical :rolleyes:

No real rail network near me these days. Massively expensive when I was in the south east.

Cheaper to run a car and a car is not that much slower or inconvenient when you factor the continued delays, cancellations, highly overcrowded carriages, noisey, smelly, random people eating food and listening to whatever music with zero manners whilst pressed against you. 

Nationalisation is not the answer, lengthening the platforms and running more carriages may help to ease the over crowding (regularly couldn't get on certain trains and have seen people pushed off at platforms more than once). 

The fare price is unbelievable and cost more than some peoples mortgages.  

12 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

No real rail network near me these days. Massively expensive when I was in the south east.

Cheaper to run a car and a car is not that much slower or inconvenient when you factor the continued delays, cancellations, highly overcrowded carriages, noisey, smelly, random people eating food and listening to whatever music with zero manners whilst pressed against you. 

Nationalisation is not the answer, lengthening the platforms and running more carriages may help to ease the over crowding (regularly couldn't get on certain trains and have seen people pushed off at platforms more than once). 

The fare price is unbelievable and cost more than some peoples mortgages.  

I do not like using public transport because before I had a car I always seemed to end up sitting next to some boring old person who smelt of BO or ****. Now that I'm getting older I don't want to use public transport in case I am that boring old person etc.  😁😁

2 minutes ago, hambone said:

I do not like using public transport because before I had a car I always seemed to end up sitting next to some boring old person who smelt of BO or ****. Now that I'm getting older I don't want to use public transport in case I am that boring old person etc.  😁😁

:lol:

I was once on a flight to Detroit and as my colleague put her case above me into the overhead luggage, I joked that she needed to get down the gym as she flashed her midrift 😋. She sat on the other side of the isle and laughed all the way to Detroit when the CFO of the Mormon church sat next to me. He was at least 25 stone and could not sit in his seat without lifting the central arm rest. He was huge and insisted on talking to me all the way to the states abut the church.

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

:lol:

I was once on a flight to Detroit and as my colleague put her case above me into the overhead luggage, I joked that she needed to get down the gym as she flashed her midrift 😋. She sat on the other side of the isle and laughed all the way to Detroit when the CFO of the Mormon church sat next to me. He was at least 25 stone and could not sit in his seat without lifting the central arm rest. He was huge and insisted on talking to me all the way to the states abut the church.

Not wanting to derail the thread but I used to see out and about or have my door knocked by Youngish Americans ( x 2 ) from the Mormon church. Not seen them in years.Still get all the others, Jehovah, Methodist, gospel etc. knock on the door and all get treated politely but will say the Mormons were the easiest to tie in knots debating religion. 😁 Yes I know where I'm off too in the afterlife. 😄

38 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Can someone tell me why on a 4 car commuter train a driver, guard, and conductor are required  whilst on a similar route but including road work, a similar 4 car tram, requires just a driver?

Unions probably.

Why even  have the  (highly paid) driver?

Why not a driverless  train? Surely that's the technology they should be pressing on with, rather than driverless cars.

I

Guys, I commute into London a couple or three times a month from Scotland (Lockerbie). Journey time 3h40mins. Virgin Westcoast, nearly always on time, always get a seat, cost pre increase around £80 return with senior rail card. So it’s not all bad it’s just all the bad stuff that hits the headlines all the time. I know because I used to commute Oxford London in 55 minutes, about the same price and nearly always standing only.

The point is that we can get a good service just not in the cities and main urban areas without massive investment in infrastructure and who will pay for it? We simply have too many people trying to get to the same place at the same time and for that there is a price to pay. Put simply 3% isn’t it; as they say it just covers increased operating costs. Be careful what you wish for as it will come out of your pocket somehow.