INCREASED RAIL FARES!

pinfireman

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Guys, I commute into London a couple or three times a month from Scotland (Lockerbie). Journey time 3h40mins. Virgin Westcoast, nearly always on time, always get a seat, cost pre increase around £80 return with senior rail card. So it’s not all bad it’s just all the bad stuff that hits the headlines all the time. I know because I used to commute Oxford London in 55 minutes, about the same price and nearly always standing only.

The point is that we can get a good service just not in the cities and main urban areas without massive investment in infrastructure and who will pay for it? We simply have too many people trying to get to the same place at the same time and for that there is a price to pay. Put simply 3% isn’t it; as they say it just covers increased operating costs. Be careful what you wish for as it will come out of your pocket somehow.

There is good and bad to every story, as said above it is only the bad parts that get reported.

Why does it seem to me that many people expect the Government (the taxpayer) to subsidise the transport of a relatively few people.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Really? 

Underground prices.  

So Saddo kept one promise? He needs this to get re-elected!  What about all the others? He was going to stamp out knife crime...............we all know how that went..............

2 hours ago, oowee said:

:lol:

I was once on a flight to Detroit and as my colleague put her case above me into the overhead luggage, I joked that she needed to get down the gym as she flashed her midrift 😋. She sat on the other side of the isle and laughed all the way to Detroit when the CFO of the Mormon church sat next to me. He was at least 25 stone and could not sit in his seat without lifting the central arm rest. He was huge and insisted on talking to me all the way to the states abut the church.

So you became a convert?:whistling:

3 hours ago, old'un said:

Don’t care, I don’t use trains, last time I went on a train there was a steam engine pulling the coaches.

Funny enough , my last train journey was last summer on a steam train , it ran from Sheringham to Holt in N / Norfolk , lovely scenery and the fare was about £6 one way , we then jumped on the bus and used our pass to get back home .lovely day out:good:

If you are in the position where you can shop for prices there are some incredible fares I have done London to Cardiff for around  £12  many times in the past.  London to Chester for about the same. We went to Fort William for £45 but nothing is guaranteed. You have to search  for deals. If you are a commuter you don't have that luxury.

10 hours ago, Zapp said:

£7376 per annum from my closest station with tube included.  Very pleased that I'm now nationally based so I dont need to fork out for a season ticket anymore, but I feel for those who have to.

I wish my firm ran a season ticket loan scheme, it would save me over £700 a year against the monthlies I have to get.

13 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Can someone tell me why on a 4 car commuter train a driver, guard, and conductor are required  whilst on a similar route but including road work, a similar 4 car tram, requires just a driver?

Because the management have repeatedly given in to bullying Union demands.

13 hours ago, hambone said:

Not wanting to derail the thread but I used to see out and about or have my door knocked by Youngish Americans ( x 2 ) from the Mormon church. Not seen them in years.Still get all the others, Jehovah, Methodist, gospel etc. knock on the door and all get treated politely but will say the Mormons were the easiest to tie in knots debating religion. 😁 Yes I know where I'm off too in the afterlife. 😄

I got bumped by them last weekend in Dundee, did not take too well that the bible is a copy of the Sumer legends.

One way to try and keep your ticket costs down is split ticketing. If I travel from Bristol to Reading (where I once worked) I get a return Bristol to Didcot and a return Didcot to Reading. This is cheaper than Bristol to Reading return. I do not have to get off at Didcot but the crunch is that the selected trains must be one that stops there. My son works a couple of days a week in London and also uses this approach to his tickets.

I've no idea if it works on other routes. But it is always worth exploring.

After turning London’s £3 million firework display into an attention-seeking exercise for himself, Sadiq is now blowing yet more taxpayers’ cash on a swanky PR firm to promote his #LondonIsOpen campaign on Twitter. Despite TfL facing a £1 billion operating deficit and Crossrail now requiring emergency loans of up to £2 billion – which Londoners will have to pay back – Sadiq has somehow managed to find £30,000 down the back of the sofa to splurge on PR outfit Freud Communications. Their job is to find high-profile people to tweet about it…

Guido readers may remember Freud Communications as part of the nexus of Remain campaign groups which sprung up in the final month of the referendum and had over £1 million funnelled to them by a tiny handful of mega-rich donors.

Publicity-obsessed Sadiq has overseen a £2.8 million increase in PR and marketing spend since becoming Mayor and already employs fifteen press officers at City Hall. Was there not a single one who was capable of doing this job themselves?

Currently on the Guido Fawkes website...........

1 hour ago, pinfireman said:

After turning London’s £3 million firework display into an attention-seeking exercise for himself, Sadiq is now blowing yet more taxpayers’ cash on a swanky PR firm to promote his #LondonIsOpen campaign on Twitter. Despite TfL facing a £1 billion operating deficit and Crossrail now requiring emergency loans of up to £2 billion – which Londoners will have to pay back – Sadiq has somehow managed to find £30,000 down the back of the sofa to splurge on PR outfit Freud Communications. Their job is to find high-profile people to tweet about it…

Guido readers may remember Freud Communications as part of the nexus of Remain campaign groups which sprung up in the final month of the referendum and had over £1 million funnelled to them by a tiny handful of mega-rich donors.

Publicity-obsessed Sadiq has overseen a £2.8 million increase in PR and marketing spend since becoming Mayor and already employs fifteen press officers at City Hall. Was there not a single one who was capable of doing this job themselves?

Currently on the Guido Fawkes website...........

doing a pretty good job at the same time as holding underground fares then.

13 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

until they and everything else has to rise to pay for his vanity projects,

It's all subsidised by the Con Charge and low emission zones and whatever other stealth taxes London Mayors have introduced.

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

Get used to it we voted for it.

I voted against a London Mayor.

A Mayor was only ever going to cost Londoners money.

Edited by Newbie to this

Just now, Newbie to this said:

It's all subsidised by the Con Charge and low emission zones and whatever other stealth taxes London Mayors have introduced.

Democracy eh who would have thought it. 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

doing a pretty good job at the same time as holding underground fares then.

Transport for London in debt to the tune of a billion, and Crossrail needing another 2 Billion, I,d say London Transport is in a mess! As for the Underground, the unions left them alone this year, unlike the rest of the network.....hardly surprising, with a mate of Corby as Mayor!

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Get used to it we voted for it. 

Who is "WE"?

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

True!

On 02/01/2019 at 16:20, Penelope said:

After my mortgage, rail fare is my biggest monthly expense. Gone up £15 a month to £495. That's £5,940 a year.

Well if your stupid or rich enough  to pay it then that's up to you.  I myself have not been on a train for years, their prices are a complete ripoff. For that money you could buy a ( If young or fit enough ) a decent form of two wheeled transport that will give you reliable service for years.

38 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

Well if your stupid or rich enough  to pay it then that's up to you.  I myself have not been on a train for years, their prices are a complete ripoff. For that money you could buy a ( If young or fit enough ) a decent form of two wheeled transport that will give you reliable service for years.

A bit of a generalisation but it might seem that some people live in nice houses a reasonable distance from where they work in the City, the Mortgage for the nice house  and the rail fairs are the reason they work in the City .

On 05/01/2019 at 08:37, krugerandsmith said:

What a ....... I'll leave you to fill in the blanks!!

On 05/01/2019 at 10:17, sportsbob said:

A bit of a generalisation but it might seem that some people live in nice houses a reasonable distance from where they work in the City, the Mortgage for the nice house  and the rail fairs are the reason they work in the City .

Thank you.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 08:37, krugerandsmith said:

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

What a ....... I'll leave you to fill in the blanks!!

Thank you.

In a slight defence of krugerandsmith's  comment, when I was an impoverished trainee accountant nearly 50 years ago, commuting every day to the City of London, one of my first "payback" calculations was to compare the cost of an annual rail season ticket against the cost of a brand new Honda CB125s. The Honda paid for itself in less than 18 months and I continued commuting on that bike for many more years.

6 minutes ago, amateur said:

In a slight defence of krugerandsmith's  comment, when I was an impoverished trainee accountant nearly 50 years ago, commuting every day to the City of London, one of my first "payback" calculations was to compare the cost of an annual rail season ticket against the cost of a brand new Honda CB125s. The Honda paid for itself in less than 18 months and I continued commuting on that bike for many more years.

50 odd miles and an hour and 45 minutes each way with no traffic. Plus the added potential danger of riding a bike. Every bike rider I know has come off or been involved in an accident at some point, some got away with scratches and bruises, others, not so lucky. Enough to keep me away from them.

13 minutes ago, Penelope said:

50 odd miles and an hour and 45 minutes each way with no traffic. Plus the added potential danger of riding a bike. Every bike rider I know has come off or been involved in an accident at some point, some got away with scratches and bruises, others, not so lucky. Enough to keep me away from them.

What about the increased risk on public transport these days, such as being stabbed or bombed. The bike seems more attractive to me.