How do you prefer to pay for driven shooting?

Matt H

Hi Chaps,

Just wondering how most shoots ask you to pay for a day and what methods people prefer? 

Do you usually pay a small deposit then the rest on the day, pay it all upfront a the time of booking, in instalments or another way?

The reason I ask is that I'm going to be running a number of days next year of various sizes and would like to know the payment methods people prefer. I'd also be interested to know how people shooting in syndicates pay.

Cheers,

Matt

35 minutes ago, The gouse said:

With my first season I’ve had so many cancellations and had to try and sell at short notice. So now its 30% deposit and cash on the day. I had one gun cancel the morning of the shoot. 

It sounds like the shoot is running just fine but the financial side seems to be lax.

Everyone should pay in advance if booked in advance and if short notice they should pay cash before the day starts. You should charge the man who cancelled on the morning of the shoot the full whack.

11 minutes ago, JDog said:

It sounds like the shoot is running just fine but the financial side seems to be lax.

Everyone should pay in advance if booked in advance and if short notice they should pay cash before the day starts. You should charge the man who cancelled on the morning of the shoot the full whack.

I’ve never had one cancellation from PW members it’s the pegs I sell on gunsonpegs.

i tried to get the money but he would not answer email or phone. I text him for the money but no reply ever. 

1 hour ago, The gouse said:

With my first season I’ve had so many cancellations and had to try and sell at short notice. So now its 30% deposit and cash on the day. I had one gun cancel the morning of the shoot. 

It maybe your first year Steve but you have not done a bad job so far, there’s bound to-be a few hiccups the first year but I am sure next year you will have your eye on the ball and it maybe time to look elsewhere to fill your shoot dates if you get no joy from guns on pegs.

All the best mate.

Book the majority of my driven days through Richard Gray at Affordable Days and his policy is 50% non returnable up front on booking and balance on the day and it seems to work well.

I would put that forward as the minimum requirement.  Personally I would want payment upfront if booked within 6 months of the shoot, non returnable. This usually gels peoples minds.

Just returned from a small day at Catton with a team of eight shooting and it was payment on the day BUT the team are regular shooters there and have been for many years. 

Edited by Walker570

Usually pay deposit aprox 50% and receive the formal paperwork 

bird price and expected bag 

overage costs 

lunch details 

weather it’s worked on a shot count or birds in the bag 

insurance required and shoot rules /policy game allowed and Cartrige type 

balance on the day which is easy now as you can do a banking transfer on your phone on the day only cash you need is for a tip and sundry stuff 

i shot with a regular group of friends over a 20 period...we were quite well known in Norfolk at that time..........we were honest and reliable.....we used to ring up the keeper book a day ...no deposit........just turn up on the day and pay..........

we also got several keepers out of a jam ..i ./ we used to be at work on ...say a tues......keeper would ring and say a couple of guns had dropped out...could we fill the slots for the next day....i would phone around and ring him back 20 mins later  saying no probs.........and we would pay 1/2 rate and work as "bag fillers"....as the keeper had orders to fill..and at the end of every drive he would say ...go hard on this drive ..or ease up as we are approaching the lunchtime limit....it worked out very well....

but as i said we were known guns...and could fill out a team needed for that day for a group of part timers from the smoke...

the norm for everybody else then and now is pay up front well in advance....none returnable.....death is the only excuse not to attend........

2 hours ago, JDog said:

I know what you are saying regarding the finance bit, but I do believe that there has to be a degree of trust between Owner and Client.  I have shot twice with The gouse and on one of those days, it was booked at short notice. Apart from a bank transfer, it would have been a bit difficult to have sent any funds in advance.  For many years I organised shooting for a 'Roving Syndicate'.  I quickly learned to take a 50% deposit from people who agreed to the day, sometimes months in advance.  I too had cancellations, albeit not on the day, but certainly 2 days prior to the shoot. It was easier to replace the gun at half price than to expect someone to pay full price at short notice. In defence of The gouse and now knowing a little more about his shoot and his clientele, he is doing a great job in supplying shooting at an excellent and affordable price and I do believe that he has the correct element of 'Trust' between him and his clients. Of course there are ALWAYS people who will abuse that trust, but that applies in any form of business and I feel that perhaps a more 'business like' approach from Steve might just create a bit less of the pleasant and relaxed 'atmosphere' that he has thus, obviously,  worked so hard to achieve.  

50% on booking with email copy of licence and insurance, balance 50/50 at the start and end of day to cope with over/underages seems normal for us on booked days

We have 2 places on syndicate for next season (1 retired and one extra gun so now standing 8 guns) prospective members are invited pigeon flighting and for a pub dinner at a cost of 50 quid before being ask to stump up subs.  We collect 50% of subs end of March and 50% when birds arrive for syndicate (plus the further 50% in October when we see how costs have inflated)

15 minutes ago, Westley said:

I know what you are saying regarding the finance bit, but I do believe that there has to be a degree of trust between Owner and Client.  I have shot twice with The gouse and on one of those days, it was booked at short notice. Apart from a bank transfer, it would have been a bit difficult to have sent any funds in advance.  For many years I organised shooting for a 'Roving Syndicate'.  I quickly learned to take a 50% deposit from people who agreed to the day, sometimes months in advance.  I too had cancellations, albeit not on the day, but certainly 2 days prior to the shoot. It was easier to replace the gun at half price than to expect someone to pay full price at short notice. In defence of The gouse and now knowing a little more about his shoot and his clientele, he is doing a great job in supplying shooting at an excellent and affordable price and I do believe that he has the correct element of 'Trust' between him and his clients. Of course there are ALWAYS people who will abuse that trust, but that applies in any form of business and I feel that perhaps a more 'business like' approach from Steve might just create a bit less of the pleasant and relaxed 'atmosphere' that he has thus, obviously,  worked so hard to achieve.  

Westley you are top man and a pleasure to shoot with. This year I’ve meet some lovey people that have come to the shoot and have returned. I’m learning and every new booking I’m taking a deposit of 30% 

I’m investing in a small gun bus so on your return you will be dropped at your peg mate. 

3 hours ago, PPP said:

50% on booking with email copy of licence and insurance, balance 50/50 at the start and end of day to cope with over/underages seems normal for us on booked days

We have 2 places on syndicate for next season (1 retired and one extra gun so now standing 8 guns) prospective members are invited pigeon flighting and for a pub dinner at a cost of 50 quid before being ask to stump up subs.  We collect 50% of subs end of March and 50% when birds arrive for syndicate (plus the further 50% in October when we see how costs have inflated)

So you collect 50% of the syndicate fees/subs three times, I'm wondering how that works ?

I do a couple of small bag driven days. I have no problem paying up front to secure a place on a good shoot. It is more irritating (although fair) to be asked for more money in December. I'd rather hand it all over earlier. Half down at the end of the previous season, half in September would be fine with me But that is for 100 birds, no overages. 

20 hours ago, figgy said:

So you collect 50% of the syndicate fees/subs three times, I'm wondering how that works ?

Aha! Because we always end up going over budget, so although we try to collect ½ if usually ends up being ⅓ of running costs...

9 hours ago, snow white said:

Figgy i can't work that one out myself 50%×3=150 ?

See above