How do you prefer to pay for driven shooting?

Matt H

Varies for me... one is all fully paid by end of July, another 50pc up front the rest on the day, and another all cash on the day. 

I quite like spreading the cost throughout the year as it then feels like I’m spending less.  That said, the one I pay in full early in the year is well established and I’ve been shooting at for years. Would probably be less willing to pay 100% up front for one I’d not shot before... that said, if I had to cancel a day at short notice I’d expect to pay up the rest.

11 hours ago, SxS said:

Varies for me... one is all fully paid by end of July, another 50pc up front the rest on the day, and another all cash on the day. 

I quite like spreading the cost throughout the year as it then feels like I’m spending less.  That said, the one I pay in full early in the year is well established and I’ve been shooting at for years. Would probably be less willing to pay 100% up front for one I’d not shot before... that said, if I had to cancel a day at short notice I’d expect to pay up the rest.

Or send someone in your place? 

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

You've all be very helpful and I think our plan will be to take a 50% deposit pre season and then a full payment a couple of weeks prior to the day. 

I do have a couple of other questions!

What kind of information do you like to have upon booking a day?
What kind of terms do you usually agree to when paying the deposit... I'd assume they are non refundable at the very least? Have you every been asked to sign anything?

Cheers,

Matt

1 hour ago, Matt H said:

You've all be very helpful and I think our plan will be to take a 50% deposit pre season and then a full payment a couple of weeks prior to the day. 

What kind of terms do you usually agree to when paying the deposit... I'd assume they are non refundable at the very least? Have you every been asked to sign anything?

Cheers,

Matt

Should they only be non-refundable in certain circumstances? 

If someone has a genuine emergency and you are easily able to fill in the peg with someone else because they give you loads of notice well in advance, surely it’s not right to keep their money and someone else also pays for the peg? 

I could understand if the person taking up the peg only pays the remainder of the cost however.

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

This, ive been offered a peg in place of people thst cant make it before, the keeper / shoot still get the money and the pegs not left empty... 

Be more worried that they’d sell the peg to someone else and perhaps be paid twice for one spot. 

Also how come you never invite me? 😂😂

2 hours ago, Matt H said:

Cheers,

Matt

Of course they should be refundable it could be the shoots fault for the day being cancelled Or not the guns fault 

12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Or send someone in your place? 

I was considering that when I came close to needing to cancel a day last season.  Closest person turned out to be away, so I turned up hoping to make it though... only to discover that the shoot had accidentally overbooked! 

Main things I look for when booking is confirmed are:

1) Clear directions/confirmation of meet up point if first time there that season.

2) Time of meeting.

The above assuming that I already know about breakfast, whether we’re likely to shoot through, if there might be duck, and whether it’s own cars or gun bus.

Have never been asked to sign anything...

7 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Of course they should be refundable it could be the shoots fault for the day being cancelled Or not the guns fault 

Also I was trying to hint this as well lol. 

Of course if it is the shoots fault then they need to give people their money back etc.