Cleaning shotguns

TRINITY

26 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Thanks guys.

Just a couple of points, never use plastic always fibre wads .always hull or eley

Used Napier,sprayed it, left it,scrubbed with bronze and plastic brush. Then cleaned out with jag with strong tissue or paper towell

After going down dozens of times still getting small amounts of carbon residue. 

Have three guns,miroku,browning and beretta all the same.

It actually doesn't matter that much if you don't get it all out because its chemically inert, the black carbon colouration never seems to completely go no matter how many patches you put down the barrels . Its not like the old days when primers were corrosive and you had to get it neutralised. More important is to make sure you get a good protective coating of oil on the bores to prevent rust before you put them away.  

Cleaning rifles that have been shooting copper jacketed bullets is an entirely different story 

Edited by Vince Green

11 hours ago, Bungle The Bear said:

Just wondering do you have proof of this ..? I personally think its an old wives tale, and a pile of **** - I have used it in all types of firearms for the past 40 odd years with not one issue !!

My father in law has used wd40 on all his guns all his life (or maybe since they invented wd40, whenever that was).

They appear in great condition still, and his newest gun must be from the 70s. 

15 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Thanks guys.

Just a couple of points, never use plastic always fibre wads .always hull or eley

Used Napier,sprayed it, left it,scrubbed with bronze and plastic brush. Then cleaned out with jag with strong tissue or paper towell

After going down dozens of times still getting small amounts of carbon residue. 

Have three guns,miroku,browning and beretta all the same.

It is unlikely you will ever get the barrels to stop producing some sort of residue on cleaning cloths.

Even when they are spotless the odds are there will be a hint of darkness come out on the cloth!

Edited by Dekers

5 minutes ago, Dekers said:

It is unlikely you will ever get the barrels to stop producing some sort of residue on cleaning clothes.

Even when they are spotless the odds are there will be a hint of darkness come out on the cloth!

hello, how true that is Dekers, i never leave my shotgun barrels dry,  last thing i do is an oily  wooly mop leaving a film of napier spray, put in gun sock and in cabinet,   

I've been watching this with great interest about WD40  ( Water Displacement and 40 as it was the 40th attempt to get it right )

A shooting mate was on about it the other week who mentioned one could waterproof boots and wellies etc But went on to say not to use on your guns as it is mostly made up of water

Another myth as it does not contain water according to their spec and write ups

I personally never use it on any guns as i use gun oil / sprays But would not say to anyone  not to use it 

As mentioned earlier it is best to have the guns clean and dry Apply a thin  coat of oil before locking away

For years i've used the Browning Legia spray and more recent went on to Napier VP90 gun cleaner which i find is spot on The VP90 being a vapour phase corrosion inhibitor

once cleaned I put the guns in their socks place in the vault and give a quick spray before locking the door

All my guns are stored barrels down to eliminate oil solidifying in the action and worse still penetrating the wood stocks

Edited by sabel25

2 hours ago, sabel25 said:

A shooting mate was on about it the other week who mentioned one could waterproof boots and wellies etc 

I also use it at work (mainly as they are paying for it) on my boots. I do believe it works, but not very well. Nothing beats a good wax. 

Anyway back to cleaning, i spray it all over my guns, stock included. Not loads, but a 'dusting'. Wipe off the stock. But putting the brush in a drill works a treat, and when the bristles are all wound one way and not very effective, hold it in your hand lightly whilst wearing a gauntlet and reverse the drill. Comes back and straightens the bristles like new. I make brushes last 3 times longer than they used to, mainly as I'm tight, secondly as most brushes you find nowadays are threadbare compared to the one I have now. 

Edited by strimmer_13

I store my gun stock down in my safe.  The safe is in a warm room in the house so I never film my barrels with oil.  I clean with Legia, with phosphour bronze brush, then jag & cloth, then a quick pull through with the wool mop a couple of times down each barrel. Then lightly grease moving parts with Tetra grease, quick wipe down with a colth after opening the action a few times to dispell any excess grease, then into my safe.

I always draw a boresnake through both barrels twice when I've finished shooting whilst the gun is still warm, before heading home from the shooting ground.  This removes a good chunk of the **** before it hardens and sticks but, surprisingly, not as much as you'd expect. 

Sabel25 

I have a offcut of carpet in the bottom of my cabinet. If I have got the gun wet after drying and cleaning I also spray some Napier with VP,90 onto the carpet so it can do its thing, just incase any water escaped drying. Never had a spot of rust yet.

Scully have s read oine of Ballistol some Americans swear by it others slate it. Interesting to watch.

Edited by figgy