Old Powders

8 hours ago, Ttfjlc said:

Evening, my Dad gave me a few old Powders from his reloading days, I have found recipes for the GM3 from PW but wondered if anybody has heard of the other 2? Cheers 

IMG_20190102_235303-3120x2340.jpg

AO powder can be used for Steel Loads go on Clay Game site look at Load Data cost £1 can't help with chequered Tin so Google search it

2 hours ago, figgy said:

The red one states AO powder type so must be the same as what you get now but you have an old lot in a tin. Not a clue about the others.

Thanks Figgy I'd presumed it was an early vectan type.

1 hour ago, cookoff013 said:

gm3 special?

Yep, found a few details on here from a topic 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

AO powder can be used for Steel Loads go on Clay Game site look at Load Data cost £1 can't help with chequered Tin so Google search it

Cheers Boyd, I've googled the chequered tin, all that came up was a 'b' type.

30 minutes ago, dipper said:

AO powder has changed over the years .The red tin looks like old stock.Powder T is a slow powder You will find data in David Garrards reloading book.GM3 has also changed over the years.

Much obliged, I'll search for the name suggested. 

10 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

530FE79D-0CA1-4FA2-A64C-9D9D459DEAFA.jpeg

Thanks OF, looking forward to getting a few loads dine.

The Poudre T powder in the checkered tin has loads in the Shooting times reloading book (1979)? it was mainly used in low velocity/heavy loads in lead with 12'10 and 8 bores.

I remember trying to get some in the 80's but in those days with no internet it was really hard trying to source items

2 hours ago, aberisle said:

The Poudre T powder in the checkered tin has loads in the Shooting times reloading book (1979)? it was mainly used in low velocity/heavy loads in lead with 12'10 and 8 bores.

I remember trying to get some in the 80's but in those days with no internet it was really hard trying to source items

Spot on pal my dad used it for reloading his 10 bore in the 80s in the lead days.

54 minutes ago, sitsinhedges said:

PM Floating Chamber hes an authority on all the old stuff

Ah yes I've seen his name pop up on a lot of the older reloading threads, thanks for the remidner.

41 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

Unless these are unopened sealed tins i wouldn't even think of using them. 

Would you care to elaborate? Does it cause pressure spikes or something? These are all opened tins, if they're not safe to use they'll help get the bonfire going. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

Would you care to elaborate? Does it cause pressure spikes or something? These are all opened tins, if they're not safe to use they'll help get the bonfire going. :lol:

Not that at all, you just cannot guarantee what is in them. Also the tins are showing signs of rust so they may be damp. It just isn't worth the risk 

On 03/01/2019 at 07:54, figgy said:

The red one states AO powder type so must be the same as what you get now but you have an old lot in a tin. Not a clue about the others.

Absolutely not!

it's actually completely different to what you get now which was completely different to what you got 5 years ago and so on!

18 hours ago, Ttfjlc said:

yes it might!  As i mentioned before, the powders you have are different to what you get now; some of them might have been designed for specific components no longer avilable.

for instance: with your GM3 you should be able to load : 12/70 Fiocchi 615 1,55 g x 32 with gualandi  SG; with Modern GM3 if you get up to 32 grams you incurr in pressures up to 1100 bar

Powders also change their chemical composition and physical aspect throughout the years.  this is a standard behavoiur on all things which contain natural components (look at fruits or meat for instance they all degrade and they all need special care to last). As such they can be affected by a number of different factors including humidity, temperature, storage method, etc.

The most common mutation is for the gliceryn to absorb humidity (up to 20%) in poor storage conditions making it unusable; also, oxidisng components containing oxigen might deteriorate in times making the powder unstable.  The othe common mutation is for powder to lose moist making it drier and  and faster by the year so, an old magnum powder (the A0 in the tin) can turn out to be a lot faster now making you load unusable or unsafe. 

Slight mutations normally start to appear after 30-40 years in prime storage condition but might appear well before if powder have not been stored correctly or in dump places with lots of temperature variations.

a test in the proofing barrel is always reccomended for safety reason (which is always a secondary concern in this forum) 

Stay safe and if in doubt ... use it as cheap fireworks LOL

On 04/01/2019 at 10:08, Continental Shooter said:

Absolutely not!

it's actually completely different to what you get now which was completely different to what you got 5 years ago and so on!

my cartridges get tested every 5000 and certainly every  day before running the machine   we always check for batch numbers as well   so for instance when i order powder i may get 3 ton of one batch    and 4 ton of another i think    vectan is only made in 4 ton  batches so if i order  say 6 ton 4 ton will be made and the  other 2 ton sure to have a little variation as it may have been made another time    so yes  it does vary a little from batch to batch       cheers   george

On 12/01/2019 at 15:58, propercartridges said:

my cartridges get tested every 5000 and certainly every  day before running the machine   we always check for batch numbers as well   so for instance when i order powder i may get 3 ton of one batch    and 4 ton of another i think    vectan is only made in 4 ton  batches so if i order  say 6 ton 4 ton will be made and the  other 2 ton sure to have a little variation as it may have been made another time    so yes  it does vary a little from batch to batch       cheers   george

Thanks George, always nice to get confirmation from someone else that knows how these things work