Help Required!

DECO290597

Hi all I'm a new member and I've tried everything to try and get permission on land to shoot pigeons. I have a .22 air rifle and have been shotting at a range for 3 years and have been asking for permission and just keep getting no after no for 4/5 months now. Tried knocking on doors, emailing and calling. I'm BASC registered and insured incase info get a permission but in all honesty this is something I'd really like to do and it is disheartening. I'm in no way begging for someone to invite me to the land they have got through their hard work but what advice or help did people get if they hard such a difficult time finding land? Thanks in advance

I always think that it is harder to get permission with an Air Rifle than a Shotgun/Live Rifle - most landowners see them as little more than a toy and can imagine pellets whizzing around their barns and finding ditches full of holed Tin cans. I doubt that you will find somewhere unless you know the right people so meeting potential owners is a first step. Farmers markets, Fairs or anywhere that country folk gather is your best bet - Farm shops are also good. The ability to talk to people is an under estimated skill, the knack of knowing a little bit about everything and being able to engage in conversation with whoever you meet is an Ace worth holding - one of my old shooting partners was so good that we could practically guarantee getting on a farm at least 50% of the time. Good luck , don't give up, this is why so many near new Guns appear in the for sales. There's a pretty good Air Rifle section on here so join in and you may even get invited out, who knows.  

The last perm I got was the one I was really keen on having, but to get it I had to take one a bit further away which to be honest the shooting wasn't so good on.  

Don't get me wrong I know you need to get that first one in but sometimes it's worth taking on one that doesn't quite suit just to get your foot in the door. 

Good luck, it's been said on here plenty but once you have your first the next is alot easier, especially when you can name drop. 

Not easy.  Getting involved in the 'scene' helps, so the old suggestion of looking for some beating may just lead to contacts.  I am from farming stock and had farming contacts for all of my 78yrs and farmers are not the most trusting people to come across with strangers and if they are up to their ears in running the farm the last thing they need is someone walking in and asking to go shooting.  Once you find a spot then if you are responsible and do the job they ask of you...eg  cleaning up corvids or feral pigeons rouns their buildings then you will often get other opportunities as a result.  With a farmer you have to be seen doing the job not just 'plinking' around. keep him updated on what you have sorted and anyhting else you think he may not have seen.  Once in then drop his wife a box of nice chocs because once she is on side you are made.  My father was a cattle dealer and he always said, becoming accepted by the wife and getting knees under the kitchen table and a cup of tea was the hardest part.

Just going in and asking to shoot doesn't work. Wanting to shoot pigeons won't really get you anywhere with an air rifle because shotgunners will always do a better job on numbers.

Start off by travelling around in the radius you want to travel to shoot. Look for pest problems, not just on farmland but in gardens, stables, garden centres, industrial estates, golf courses.

All the places where someone might need quiet, discreet pest control. Find the landowner, point out the problem and offer to help control it. Get the approach right and you will end up with all the shooting you could ever want. 

8 hours ago, DECO290597 said:

Hi all I'm a new member and I've tried everything to try and get permission on land to shoot pigeons. I have a .22 air rifle and have been shotting at a range for 3 years and have been asking for permission and just keep getting no after no for 4/5 months now. Tried knocking on doors, emailing and calling. I'm BASC registered and insured incase info get a permission but in all honesty this is something I'd really like to do and it is disheartening. I'm in no way begging for someone to invite me to the land they have got through their hard work but what advice or help did people get if they hard such a difficult time finding land? Thanks in advance

hello, what area are you ?

17 hours ago, DECO290597 said:

I realise most of this has been said but going beating really helps and gets your face known.

As for asking for pigeon shooting with an air rifle i wouldn't hold your breath, aim for the smaller places and ask about rats, if you can get a start somewhere it helps get the next place.

15 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what area are you ?

I'm on the derby/notts boarder mate

Notts derby boarder. Pretty close to Mansfield, I have been considering it and there is a spot east of Mansfield that i have been eyeing up

7 hours ago, labstaff said:

I've managed to get a lot of my permissions through beating, not always at the place I beat, but by meeting people also. It takes time but it's worth it. Plus you meet people with similar interests and make new friends.

How can I do that mate?

Thankyou all for your replies, certainly gave me some confidence boost and enthusiasm to continue the search! Also have 2 lurchers I was going to get into ferreting but the oldest one is now pregnant again so that idea is on hold

7 hours ago, DECO290597 said:

I'm on the derby/notts boarder mate

Notts derby boarder. Pretty close to Mansfield, I have been considering it and there is a spot east of Mansfield that i have been eyeing up

How can I do that mate?

Thankyou all for your replies, certainly gave me some confidence boost and enthusiasm to continue the search! Also have 2 lurchers I was going to get into ferreting but the oldest one is now pregnant again so that idea is on hold

hello, as Timmy said i would do a search on your computer of all the likely places that may be suitable, stables/garden centres (after hours) small holders/ chicken farm/ (ratting) business properties with buildings (ferrel pigeon) etc etc, next is local farms/ or join a local shoot as a beater, once you have a list it is show up and ask in person, good luck   

24 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thats a good suggestion old un, here is a book that might help, using claw type mole traps by simon bollons

Long time ago I actually picked up some shooting from someone who asked me if I would come and clear some moles from their lawn, turned out he was a farmer, and I still shoot his farm.