Fac update

Davetyler

Hi guys i thought id post this as i am over the moon.

Sent off my grant for fac in july, had visit in august and day after boxing day it dropped on the door mat. I am in merseyside so i was expecting it later than what it came. 

The day after went out and bought a new cz455 16" barrel synthetic stock a sak mod and 500 rounds from cheshire gun rooms bolton. Good lads sorted me out with new bag and bore snake. Weather was rubbish on the saturday so sunday  i took my dad on my shooting perm and had a play zeroing in. Wind wasnt too bad from left to right but managed to have a go at some spuds at 100 yard. Shooting off sticks hitting spud after spud.

What a whack!!! Ive shot shotgun for a while and sub air rifle but nothing can beat the whack of this tiny round. Needless to say how accurate these are. Went out new years day for another play and slight adjustment i could hit a parsnip at 100 yards im happy with that. Its completely different from shotgun shooting and first time off stick i dont think i am doing too bad. The next time im out i have the confidence to go for a bunny and get the rifles first blood.

I know some of you might not be interested but someone who is wanting to get fac or is looking to get one in the future. Dont do what i did and get it sent off.... What a tool these are.

If i get people responses and want to know i will post more and let people know how im getting on with a new kind of shooting. Or any tips they can give me will be appreciated

Thanks for reading

Well i know it defeats the object but no animals was harmed making this topic. Haha. Theres the disclaimer. 

Took the 455 out yesterday and left the veg alone. Taken it to anotjer shoot and no wind so thought id have another play with it making sure it was near zero. Aiming at a dot the size of a penny i let 5 rip. Shooting high and left. Altered it to the right a few clicks. Couple shots later i got the group about an inch. A little bit high but not by much that could of been me as shooting off sticks i was happy with that. I am no sniper and this is all a learning curve im going out tomorrow to get some bunnies il let you know how i get on

Update

Went out today with my sbs and my 17hmr. Managed to bag 4 pigeon with the 12 and guess what

First blood with the 17hmr.

So went over one field and a few pigeon up but shot what i aimed at so no disappointment there. Few hours passed and didnt see a thing i thought id play with my 17. Went to another field where i zero got 140 yards away and noticed something move. Walked 6 yards and thought id have a crack. Wimd left to right quite strong i give a bit for that and pulled the trigger. Bang dropped stone dead. Picked it up there was no head and one side. Left that there for mr fox.

Went to another field and waited half hour and a little bunny popped his head up. Again wimd from left to right aimed at the tip of his nose and let it rip. Whack a rabbit down. Picked him up but unfortunately wind drifted it too far over and   smashed it to pieces but still stone dead. That was at 140 yards. 

So what can i say but i am very very pleased with rimfire

17 hours ago, Davetyler said:

Update

Went out today with my sbs and my 17hmr. Managed to bag 4 pigeon with the 12 and guess what

First blood with the 17hmr.

So went over one field and a few pigeon up but shot what i aimed at so no disappointment there. Few hours passed and didnt see a thing i thought id play with my 17. Went to another field where i zero got 140 yards away and noticed something move. Walked 6 yards and thought id have a crack. Wimd left to right quite strong i give a bit for that and pulled the trigger. Bang dropped stone dead. Picked it up there was no head and one side. Left that there for mr fox.

Went to another field and waited half hour and a little bunny popped his head up. Again wimd from left to right aimed at the tip of his nose and let it rip. Whack a rabbit down. Picked him up but unfortunately wind drifted it too far over and   smashed it to pieces but still stone dead. That was at 140 yards. 

So what can i say but i am very very pleased with rimfire

Little tip Dave

If you want to eat rabbit meat use the .22lr  If not continue as you are

You must've been B***** sick of your xmas dinner to end up shooting it to bits off sticks  Should of continued with the brussels and turkey:yahoo:

Good shooting mate

Thats a good point sabel, i might try and shoot sprouts haha 

Im waiting for my license to come back as they didnt put fac air on it but i will get a 22 when i get it back. The only thing that bothers me is my ground is soft and i know where the bullet will go i dont like the thoughts of ricochet i do have a 7ft banking that im shooting in front of but as for other parts of the fiel there is none that i can shoot with lr in my opinion 

Soft ground the better as the bullet will penetrate

You'll get ricochet off hard frozen ground,  rocks etc But if the ground is flat with  no back drop then better safe than sorry

But an 22 air pellet will ricochet especially from an fac air rifle depending on what pressure you have it at

Its the ricochet problem starting over. My fields are passed for 22 there is a flat field thats half a mile long and the firearms officer said to farmer if im shooting stood up its fine because of the distance of the field. I dont know where he got that from. Im happy shooting infront of a banking and into sand. Other than that i am playing with fire shooting on the edge of the field in my eyes. 

If anyone can share some info with this please pm me as i am new to rimfire and would like to learn some knowlage of people