16 or 20 bore

andrew f

After hurting my shoulder and taking more than the required time to let it heal I have a slight problem with my shoulder being rather sore and stiff after a good day on the clays or corvids using my 12 bore . I was thinking perhaps a change to a 16 or 20 might help with the issue any advice will be greatly received 

Been there, Done that, had the shoulder operation, which failed.  I use an auto (Beretta) for clays and vermin and a 20 bore O/U for game. I can shoot a 100 sporting clay shoot without any ill effects. I never use more than 28 grams in the 20 bore, but more usual is 24 or 25 gram. If I do use the 20 on clays, I use 24 gram cartridges. Problem with using 20 bore for clays and vermin, the cartridges are a bit more expensive and nothing like the same choice of 12 bore cartridges.

3 minutes ago, Westley said:

Been there, Done that, had the shoulder operation, which failed.  I use an auto (Beretta) for clays and vermin and a 20 bore O/U for game. I can shoot a 100 sporting clay shoot without any ill effects. I never use more than 28 grams in the 20 bore, but more usual is 24 or 25 gram. If I do use the 20 on clays, I use 24 gram cartridges. Problem with using 20 bore for clays and vermin, the cartridges are a bit more expensive and nothing like the same choice of 12 bore cartridges.

Looks like I’ll be giving the Mrs 20 bore a whirl then it’s soo bloody light feels like I’m swinging a matchstick around though 😂

I've been using 26.5g 7's eley grand prix in my 16 bore and they are ridiculously smooth, I've a few other 28g loads but they do start to feel a bit punchy, I know hull make a clay load for the 16 but can't say I've tried them. 

Would say it's definitely worth a think, I think the old ' carries like a 20 kills like a 12' really hits the nail on the head. 

Totally agree I use all three guages 12  16 & 20

The 16g  is good to carry around at 6 1/2lb ( O/U ) and i use nothing but 28g  mainly RC's at same price as 12g RC's

Definitely worth trying a 16g

I also had an op on my shoulder some 8 to  9 years ago but have no problem shooting any guage or any wieght cartridge

1 minute ago, sabel25 said:

There's also the option of using 12g cartridges with the GRS ( Gordon recoil system ) ie Just cartridges xtreme game in 28g  have very reduced kick

in 65mm case Ideal for light wieght sxs

I’ll have a look into it though I have found a nice 16 bore 

19 minutes ago, andrew f said:

Revo three shot semi and a baikal sxs which i know kicks like a mule before I had shoulder issues 

hello, looking at the revo it has a butt pad and with being a semi auto should give little recoil, your baikal might be a little short in the stock, have you measured your LOP, even a small measurement might be the cause of you getting to much kick back, i found this out when many years ago with my first side by side an old english 12 bore, that kicked back and got bruised no end until i took it to a gunsmith as i had no knowledge of LOP or gun fit, so took the proper measurements fitted a rubber pad and no more problems, cartridges used then eley grand prix 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

16 hours ago, andrew f said:

I’ll have a look into it though I have found a nice 16 bore 

Is that a side by side or O/U ?

I have both in 16g and have never had your problem, but as said above choosing a lighter load should solve your problem.

OB

20 hours ago, andrew f said:

Looks like I’ll be giving the Mrs 20 bore a whirl then it’s soo bloody light feels like I’m swinging a matchstick around though 😂

That is why I use my old Beretta 303 on clays, it is a lot 'steadier' to shoot AND I do not have to pick up my empty cases   !     😉

4 hours ago, andrew f said:

The 16 bore is a o/u

May I ask what make, only O/Us in 16g are limited, as far as I know, to Lincoln (F.A.I.R), Browning, B.Rizzini,  Macnab Highlanders (made by B.Rizzini) and Chapuis.

Also I'd be interested in the weight of it.

Many thanks,

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

May I ask what make, only O/Us in 16g are limited, as far as I know, to Lincoln (F.A.I.R), Browning, B.Rizzini,  Macnab Highlanders (made by B.Rizzini) and Chapuis.

Also I'd be interested in the weight of it.

Many thanks,

OB

• Lincoln model  Jubilee Prestige

6 pounds 6oz apparently 

5 minutes ago, andrew f said:

6 pounds 6oz apparently 

I didn't wish to comment previously, but I have a 16g Lincoln Jubilee Prestige and believe that they are one of the only 16g O/Us built on a true scaled down action and are a joy to both own and shoot.

I don't think that you will be disappointed if you go for the Prestige.

OB

24 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I didn't wish to comment previously, but I have a 16g Lincoln Jubilee Prestige and believe that they are one of the only 16g O/Us built on a true scaled down action and are a joy to both own and shoot.

I don't think that you will be disappointed if you go for the Prestige.

OB

34 minutes ago, andrew f said:

6 pounds 6oz apparently 

Good choice 

I use the same

Great little gun  to carry , about and shoot

Happy shooting

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What’s it like getting carts for a 16gauge though 🤔

I have no problem getting 16g cartridges

My local supplier keeps some in stock Lylevale    But they order my RC 16g in for me on thier next order they place as i prefer them And cheaper than JC

There is a good range of 16g cartridges  now and guns as more and more 16g guns are being sold  and more suppliers are stocking them or will order them in

Browning are jumping on the band wagon filling the pages on GT with thier new 525 16g