RE-VAMPED FROSTS-MORA-KNIFE

Bazooka Joe

A mate gave me this Mora a good few years ago, it's done the usual, skinning/chopping meat/fishing/bushcraft etc, & looking at it today I decided that it needed a bit of TLC.

I think you'll agree it's had a rough paper round.

P23iQQGl.jpg

poNdVbul.jpg

The knife sharpening  jig I made a while ago was the go to tool for the job, after the initial making & trying it out, I modified parts & changed to Diamond Files & Whetstones.

All bought off the bay of plenty & tiddlywink Ebay, for not a lot of pennies + they do a cracking job, no need for the expensive J-pan stones, see links.

The latter one is good for when you have sharpened your knife & just need to dress the burr after using it, nice little stone that fits in the pocket.

240#/600#/1000# Grit Professional Fixed Angle Diamond Home Kitchen Tool Knife Sharpening Stone Tool Knife Sharpener Whetstone

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/240-600-1000-Grit-Home-Kitchen-Tool-Knife-Sharpener-Sharpening-Stone-3pcs-sets/32802583403.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62514c4dBcYKNf

3000# ruby sharpener stone with base

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3000-ruby-sharpener-stone-with-base-Freeshipping-Dropshipping-1-piece-price-Ruby-oil-stone/767729079.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62514c4dBcYKNf

10000# 3000# Grit Knife Razor Sharpener Stone Whetstone Polishing Tool

Ebay Item No-282989828143

First two pictures show getting the angle right that's already ground on the knife, mark it with black ink marker, set the angle on the knife jig till the diamond file cleans the ink off level, then grind away till you dress the egde evenly all along the length of the knife.

d7FQFW7l.jpg

HYpQ6Zdl.jpg

Next picture shows the angle getting dressed.

hYqdnjul.jpg

After dressing both sides of the Mora I re-fit it back into the jig then increase the angle so I can re-sharpen the edge for the final time.

b9fkkrYl.jpg

Finish it off with the ruby stone below + a photo of the mirrored edge. It's now shining like a **** house door, akin to looking down the side of a razor blade & seeing the mirror like finish on the cutting edge.

7ddoalOl.jpg

8n6SMNAl.jpg

Top edge of the knife now, different clamp on the jig to dress the top.

XiuVBiWl.jpg

I finish it off blueing the blade, then re-fitting into the jig for a final dressing to highlight the cutting edge.

A lot better than it was, & a lot sharper by far.

H55W90nl.jpg

Jy8ZESml.jpg

8Rz7rHEl.jpg

yb7xkYxl.jpg

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Hi

Nice recovery of a good knife - the blueing on the blade - what form of bueing/process, was used please?

L

Birchwood Casey Super Blue, tbh I don't kmow how long the finish will last.. I was going to give it a white vinigar patina finish but didn't have any, if  the blueing doesn't last that's what I'll do. 

24 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Tidy job, that 👍 

Might I ask why you put a secondary bevel on? Moras are normally a zero grind..😯

Personal preference tbh... easier to dress the edge with the stone in the link in the thread above. 

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Ooops said:

awesome job Joe, it cleaned up really well ..... but what's really caught my eye is your jig

Have you posted any thing on making it that you could point me at?

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/368902-knife_sharpening_jig/?tab=comments#comment-3498980

Fill ya boots....I've modified it since then, made small jigs for smaller blades, & a custom one for Opinel, & scissors.

if you need any more help etc just PM...:good: