Sign in to follow this  
Tford

Stuffed pheasant breast

Not being a fan of pheasant I decided to try a new recipe, which I can wholeheartedly recommend.

pheasant breast cut pocketed

Packet stuffing (being lazy) inserted into pocket in sausage shape.

closed pocket up, and wrapped in 3 pieces of streaky bacon

placed on sheet of cling film with knob of butter alongside

wrapped/rolled and tied up tight in cling film parcel to form a tube shape

Poached for 15-20 minutes, then pan fried to crisp bacon (minus cloning film obviously)

job done, you are then left with a nice piece of meat, cut along it and you’ll have a lovely sausage shape with bacon outer, breast middle, and stuffed core. 

Enjoy!

ED847685-97EB-420B-AE98-722C3DD9C336.jpeg

Very nice, we just roll the breasts in some seasoned and spiced flour and then either bake or fry and they are lovely.

*cling film, not cloning film.... I bet you thought so that’s how come there were two on the chopping board 😁

Posted (edited)

if you can hang  the pheasant two  weeks  or three depending on  ambient temp  before using the meat  the gamy tasty goes  and you have a top meal all meat needs to hang  after slaughter to  breaks the enzyme down to make more tasty   turkey makes you sleepy     game meats give you a lift  pheasant partridge  inc salmon / venison lifts you and makes you want to do more     30day old beef looks black but god does it melt in your mouth aged meat is the way forward our ancestors did not have freezers but knew how to preserve meats history can teach the uneducated Tesco's shoppers to seasonal game  etc is not the way forward ask your granny how she looked after her kids and do the same  home cooking 

Edited by Saltings

Saltings, If you hang a pheasant for 2-3 weeks at the mo it will turn green...hanging pheasant in my experience increases the gaminess not 'tother way round...?

Posted (edited)

I shot on Saturday and took a brace of cock birds......I breasted them and did as described above but unfortunately did not have any stuffing so I used Boursin Garlic and Herb cheese. It was a big hit the wife and kids 👍

Edited by prem1234

8 hours ago, prem1234 said:

I shot on Saturday and took a brace of cock birds......I breasted them and did as described above but unfortunately did not have any stuffing so I used Boursin Garlic and Herb cheese. It was a big hit the wife and kids 👍

There’s an idea... may have to try that version.