Sign in to follow this  
Lord v

Reloading for a 16ga

Because of the recent issues with my 16ga I have looked more seriously at reloading for it and think it's probably a goer. Not so much financially (although I should recoup the cost of the basic kit after approx 5000 reloads....) but in flexibility of load. I shoot way more clays than game and a 21g or 24g of 8s in a 16 would be nice I think... 

I have been looking at a Lee loadall, its a lot cheaper than anything else. Does it lack any features I would actually benefit from? (probably be reloading 1000 a year maybe) 

Other than a press, scales, RTO tool and skiver is there anything else I desperately need? 

A few other q's: 

Are clay and game data sheets a good place to start? Does anyone else do good recipes for a 16?

How often would you check the powder/shot drop on a set of scales from a Lee? 

I did see a link to an Italian reloading site a long time ago that seemed comprehensive. Does anyone have it? 

Thanks chaps. 

Buy new cases and a roll turn over bit for a piller drill,. I don't crimp any 16 bore cases now,. I have a 12g lee loadall set to drop powder and shot,.  Jim.

On 04/01/2019 at 20:24, motty said:

I wouldn't bother with the skiver.

Even if I want to reuse cases? 

Thanks chaps, I have found a few recipes on line and ready to get cracking.... 

7 hours ago, Lord v said:

Even if I want to reuse cases? 

Thanks chaps, I have found a few recipes on line and ready to get cracking.... 

A skiver will not help with used cases.