Renewal Letter - POORLY THOUGHT OUT.

TIGHTCHOKE

My Son has just received his invitation to renew his SGC from Cambridgeshire Police Firearms licensing Department. 

It is in a plain white A5 envelope with a window and clearly shows the first line of the text "Dear certificate Holder" So much for not making everyone aware of which houses have weapons stored within them!

I wonder if it is worth pointing this out to them?

It could be any certificate. It's addressed to your son so you draw the natural assumption it's an sgc. Most of the public don't realise the sgc exists and call it a firearms licence. 

If the letter said dear firearms licence holder your have a point as your postman/women may have an idea you have a gun. 

How many of your neighbours know? Friends? Bin men who see the empty cartridges and boxs ? Their mates who they mentioned it to in the pub? Passing motorists who see you with a gun slip getting in/out of the car. The clay club? People at the gun shop who were just browsing and not sgc holders? Walkers who noted your car when you were pigeon shooting ? 

Not something I'm going to lose any sleep over in the grand scheme of things. 

10 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

It could be any certificate. It's addressed to your son so you draw the natural assumption it's an sgc. Most of the public don't realise the sgc exists and call it a firearms licence. 

If the letter said dear firearms licence holder your have a point as your postman/women may have an idea you have a gun. 

How many of your neighbours know? Friends? Bin men who see the empty cartridges and boxs ? Their mates who they mentioned it to in the pub? Passing motorists who see you with a gun slip getting in/out of the car. The clay club? People at the gun shop who were just browsing and not sgc holders? Walkers who noted your car when you were pigeon shooting ? 

Not something I'm going to lose any sleep over in the grand scheme of things. 

Yes you are quite correct, I just expected better from them.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Capitalisation!

37 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Does that happen often ?

Must be a Lincolnshire thing! 😉

On a similar vein, I once received a phone call from a nice lady from Carlisle Hospital who asked 'Is that Mr ******?' After confirming it was, the caller went on to inform me that my test for a STD had returned positive. When I informed her I'd never had a test for a STD, and she had asked me for my first name, which obviously wasn't the one she expected, she was very very apologetic. I have a lot of relatives in my home town, many with the same surname. I never did find out which one it was. 🙂

2 hours ago, Scully said:

On a similar vein, I once received a phone call from a nice lady from Carlisle Hospital who asked 'Is that Mr ******?' After confirming it was, the caller went on to inform me that my test for a STD had returned positive. When I informed her I'd never had a test for a STD, and she had asked me for my first name, which obviously wasn't the one she expected, she was very very apologetic. I have a lot of relatives in my home town, many with the same surname. I never did find out which one it was. 🙂

On a similar note, many years ago my wife and I once received a letter from the doctor's advising her that tests indicated that she was pregnant. Turns out that another couple within the same practice had exactly the same Christian and surnames as us. I was none too pleased at the time having had a vasectomy 5 years previously.

OB

4 hours ago, JDog said:

I would rather have a letter addressed to ‘Dear certificate holder’ than one with ‘Sexually transmitted disease clinic’ stamped on the envelope.

You will be glad to know JD it is a discreet envelope now delivered by myhermes 🤣

3 hours ago, Scully said:

On a daily basis I diagnose and screen for sexually transmitted infections. Once the patient consents to the test being sent it is carriage d in a sealed grey bag. The patient is asked how they wish to receive the results. These are text, by post or both and the phone number, address etc is written onto the test form. Very rarely do I get anyone wishing to have the results by post and most ask for them by text. I make a point of double checking the patients contact number.

Wonder how they got your number Scully?

atb

13 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes you are quite correct, I just expected better from them.

Being a manager for a licensing team (not firearms) I think you may have unreasonably high expectations tbh. As mentioned by others it  doesn’t reveal anything and is not something that would cause any concern in terms of public safety. If this is the greatest problem with the local force then you’re doing well!! T

8 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

You will be glad to know JD it is a discreet envelope now delivered by myhermes 🤣

On a daily basis I diagnose and screen for sexually transmitted infections. Once the patient consents to the test being sent it is carriage d in a sealed grey bag. The patient is asked how they wish to receive the results. These are text, by post or both and the phone number, address etc is written onto the test form. Very rarely do I get anyone wishing to have the results by post and most ask for them by text. I make a point of double checking the patients contact number.

Wonder how they got your number Scully?

atb

I have no idea. It is my local hospital so possibly it’s already on file? 

9 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Glad to see privacy has moved on in the medical profession. Years ago (probably 25ish) my wife received the results from her smear test on a postcard. I kid you not. I went ballistic and all we got was a "sorry". 

That was poor practise that Walshie, I also would have made my feelings known also.

Apologies to TC for derailing the thread slightly.  Any organisation be it, policing, education, nhs, media, private or public that breaches confidentiality can be made accountable to the information commissioner office (ICO) A single breach which results in direct harm  or wider public risk/concern can result in a fine of up to £500,000 for the organisation. Information governance is a growing sector in it's own right. In the digital age organisations under increasing pressure to make systems secure.

So much for paperless systems eh Tightchoke.

atb

7diaw