You've had your chips!

7daysinaweek

Got out today and down at one of me small permissions, had a good scan about and sat in car for a good 30 minutes with the heater on as the Doodah was showing  5 degrees. Watched a wood which at times can give the odd opportunity but nothing. Not even any black marauders which seemed unusual as always one or two about.

Off to another bit and bumps into Farmer, anyroads after 20 minutes of Gassing off to another bit and parked up. Decided to walk a long old dry ditch which ends in a small spinney and have had the odd Bunter, magpie, squirrel in the previous years from it. After slogging along the ditch and getting snaffled by all manner of brash it did not produce anything apart from wounds to the thighs from them vicious brambles.

I knew across the road that there was a field of spuds which had been lifted before Christmas and with it being so cold thought could be a chance they may be some on it. So going up the track and I would say about 15-20 odd pigeon lifted off the field in a very tight clump from where they came off. I parked up and quickly got me self behind an old square pallet box, the light breeze was bloody biting. After about 10 minutes 3 birds came and caught me totally unawares. The field is on a slight hill and they must have come from the top and glided all the way down about 4 foot of the ground I can only think the whole way. The field being quite dark I just did not see them until they were right upon me and fouled up the shot as they flared away. Waited for another 40 minutes and nothing returned or if they did I did not see them.

Then walked another strip of wood where I shot the squizzer a few weeks ago and did not reveal anything so it was back to the warmth of the vehicle which was much needed.

Going to try again Monday as weather has given cold snap coming and will try the spuds again to see if any joy. We have only had 2 nights good hard frost here over this winter.

atb

7diaw

20190104_133406.jpg

20190104_133340_opt.jpg

20190104_133347_opt.jpg

I find it quite refreshing to hear about days I can relate to , luckily enough I am still fit enough to walk long distances in search of the odd Pheasant or the chance of a duck or two , the law of averages say you will connect now and again but there are a lot of times in between when you don't and to be in it for the long haul this is all part of the package .

THANKS for sharing your day .

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

Just finished me chips thanks, better to be out than stuck indoors. Best of luck for next time.

👍

51 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I find it quite refreshing to hear about days I can relate to , luckily enough I am still fit enough to walk long distances in search of the odd Pheasant or the chance of a duck or two , the law of averages say you will connect now and again but there are a lot of times in between when you don't and to be in it for the long haul this is all part of the package .

Makes me feel a little better that MM, I always happy to get out when circumstances allow and always try and walk where I can, if I get a handful of shots when doing a walk I am chuffed. Days like today which resulted in one shot is still great too. You are correct, if you were into moderate numbers on every outing there would be very little about. I satisfy myself that my two small perms are somewhere for me to blow out the cobwebs. I am fortunate enough to pick up bits and pieces of vermin control from time to time but once job done many times that the end of it, sometimes leads to other things.

atb

35 minutes ago, kenholland said:

sometimes the old spud field can produce results this time of year, I think we are to busy looking at rape fields , he is not called mr opportunist for nothing, if you have got any check them out , I will after reading 7 d I a wk's report.

Cheers Ken

Unfortunately no rape on my ground, will be out again Monday and try them spuds again, will keep an eye out for any rape being hit.

atb

7diaw

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Very much this. Spending half a day in a hide seeing a grand total of 3 pigeons apparently breaking air speed records is more like my days.

But... the ‘bad’ days just make the good ones even more enjoyable. I’ve had my shooting partner apologise for a barren evening walking around farmland on a sunny Scottish Borders evening.... shot nothing and thoroughly enjoyed myself. 

Thanks for the honest field report! 

The claim cold blue haze weather this week as not helped, went out Monday lots of pigeon just sat in trees, heads tucked into their shoulders, feathers puffed-up looking like big round Robins, with the odd one dropping onto the field, drove round three other potential fields, walked them off the fields and they just landed half a mile away and sat there, returned to first field an hour later and they were still sitting in the trees, it was the same on the other fields, went out Wednesday and exactly the same pattern, don’t think I will see much pigeon movement until this high pressure moves and we get a bit of wind to clear the air, I guess the old adage is I should have known better when I looked out the bedroom window and there was not a twig moving on any of the trees, but as you say better being out than sat in the house, hope the weather improves next week.

11 minutes ago, old'un said:

The claim cold blue haze weather this week as not helped, went out Monday lots of pigeon just sat in trees, heads tucked into their shoulders, feathers puffed-up looking like big round Robins, with the odd one dropping onto the field, drove round three other potential fields, walked them off the fields and they just landed half a mile away and sat there, returned to first field an hour later and they were still sitting in the trees, it was the same on the other fields, went out Wednesday and exactly the same pattern, don’t think I will see much pigeon movement until this high pressure moves and we get a bit of wind to clear the air, I guess the old adage is I should have known better when I looked out the bedroom window and there was not a twig moving on any of the trees, but as you say better being out than sat in the house, hope the weather improves next week.

Cheers O.U

Your day out mirrors mine in many ways. I have just checked the forecast for here on Monday and gives 25 mph winds with light rain and will give it another go.

Hope things improve down your way.

atb

7diaw