is a 20 bore 28g no7 possible

hi 

I have been using my 20 bore sub for clays recently and its a joy to walk about without hearing protection ( you can even hear when the claymate sends the signal to the trap :)) however in addition to 20g subs being criminally expensive i just cant find a decent clay load. The best i have found so far is a 24g from eley but I really want a 28g load. My hunting loads are 30g no5's so i presume it is possible to make up a 28g no7 with a fibre wad ? 

Is my load possible ? 

will it be cheaper to home load ? i know that on 12 bore clay loads it isnt but with a slab of Eley subs being £73 ( and they are the 24g ones ) would it be worth it ? for my hunting cartridges I just dont shoot enough to justify but for clay cartridges I can easily go through 150-200 a session which gets expensive real quick. 

4 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

lylevale xpress do a 25 and 28 gram load in no 7.have used both and theyre fine.

are you sure they still do in 20bore ? i have looked on their website and googled and i can only find the 24g 

Just cartridges normally the oracle of cartridges only shows a 24g 20 bore 

i just looked b4 i posted and they were still listed.a fone call to my local supplyer could confirm,if available i have had them in the past from this outlet.and this gent stocks just about everything available.

Edited by hawkfanz

4 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

i just looked b4 i posted and they were still listed.a fone call to my local supplyer could confirm,if available i have had them in the past from this outlet.and this gent stocks just about everything available.

can you let me know who and if they are local ish to me i will get a few slabs 

You have to remember that you would have to shoot Thousands of cartridges to cover the cost of home loading

Powder  lead and components are getting expensive add to that the cost of the loading gear It will still cost you up to £6 per box of 25 to home load from what i've read from peole doing home loads compared to buying ready made at just over £6 for clay carts depending on make etc

There's a bloke not far from me produces cartridges" Proper Cartridges" who would make a batch to your spec at very reasonable prices

You can load what you like,that's the joy of reloading.

Personally I'd buy clay loads purely due to the amount your shooting. If you can get 24g 8shot that would be a good clay load. 28g might be expensive if you can get them.

Link to 20bore 28g clay load by express as another poster wrote. https://www.lyalvaleexpress.com/shop/page/2/?filtering=1&filter_cartridge=clay

Edited by figgy

i can make you and have in stock 20 bore 28 gram  2.9mm or most shot sizes at 250 per 1000 in fibre wad or 240 plastic       cheers   george 07714 323 909

On 05/01/2019 at 00:16, sabel25 said:

You have to remember that you would have to shoot Thousands of cartridges to cover the cost of home loading

Powder  lead and components are getting expensive add to that the cost of the loading gear It will still cost you up to £6 per box of 25 to home load from what i've read from peole doing home loads compared to buying ready made at just over £6 for clay carts depending on make etc

There's a bloke not far from me produces cartridges" Proper Cartridges" who would make a batch to your spec at very reasonable prices

yes he is very good called george best ring him on 07714 323 909

Guest cookoff013

i`m a reloader, i`d seriously discourage you if you just want shells, 

if you want to reload, do it. 

subsonics probably are the number 1 shell that will pay back faster and be cheaper all round. (within reason)

• 2 weeks later...