Caesar Guerine

davewh100

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In CPSA registered shooting I’m predominantly a hedge monkey. 

I shoot CPSA  registered sporting, FITASC (mainly in the winter), sportrap and all round. 

All round consisting of  25 Single Barrel DTL, 25 ABT, 25 English Skeet and 25 English Sporting is about enough of the other disciplines I can manage in one day :) 

I’ve only ever owned Browning, Beretta and CG. I can’t say I’ve been disappointed with any of them.

However the importers of Browning and Beretta seem not to listen to what people want and instead tell you what should have like it or lump it. Where as with CG they do seem to listen to people’s views and try and accommodate accordingly.

1 hour ago, bostonmick said:

Have a look on Derek Lee gunsmiths. He has a dt10 on the shelf it is an excellent example. And will outlive any c&g. 

Don’t know if it’s the photo or a hair, but is the action scratched? Still a very nice gun none the less, top money though 

8ADAEB0C-C35C-408B-81AE-6EC4CB691BF0.jpeg

Edited by TK421

6 hours ago, TK421 said:

Don’t know if it’s the photo or a hair, but is the action scratched? Still a very nice gun none the less, top money though 

8ADAEB0C-C35C-408B-81AE-6EC4CB691BF0.jpeg

I owned this gun and can tell you it is in virtually unused condition I put 100 cartridges through it when I first acquired it. This was just to ensure it was all good. The reason I sold it is I have another dt10 that I use all the time and this just sat in the cabinet for a couple of years. As for thd Mark there was nothing on it when I took it in. 

8 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

I owned this gun and can tell you it is in virtually unused condition I put 100 cartridges through it when I first acquired it. This was just to ensure it was all good. The reason I sold it is I have another dt10 that I use all the time and this just sat in the cabinet for a couple of years. As for thd Mark there was nothing on it when I took it in. 

Does look a beauty, maybe just a surface scuff then and not a scratch.

46 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

If you can use a dt10 it is a different class to any c&g. It has an ag serial number and is newer than the one I use week in week out. 

Having shot a DT 10 for 15 years and now a CG for 3 I’d have to disagree. Absolutely nothing wrong with the DT 10 but it doesn’t outclass (or I’d still be shooting it) and I’d doubt it would outlast my CG either but I’d have to wait another 12 years to compare what I had to have fixed on my DT 10 in that time. 

You are of course entitled to your opinion as am I, but people are quick to put CG down without ever living with one for sometime to know what they are like to own. 

I owned both for 2 1/2 years to make my decision before settling on CG.

9 hours ago, timps said:

Having shot a DT 10 for 15 years and now a CG for 3 I’d have to disagree. Absolutely nothing wrong with the DT 10 but it doesn’t outclass (or I’d still be shooting it) and I’d doubt it would outlast my CG either but I’d have to wait another 12 years to compare what I had to have fixed on my DT 10 in that time. 

You are of course entitled to your opinion as am I, but people are quick to put CG down without ever living with one for sometime to know what they are like to own. 

I owned both for 2 1/2 years to make my decision before settling on CG.

I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have over the past fifty plus years looked at and owned many guns of different makes. I looked at cg never felt right for me. As with all engineered products there will be from time to time problems and I can assure you cg will not be immune to this. I also find that the price of cg drops like a stone from new to used and I have known some dealers refuse to take them in px. A used dt10 will still command a higher price than new cg that speaks volumes. I have beretta guns over forty years old and could not even estimate how many shots have been fired but have never been back to a gunsmith in all that time. So you may have to wait a bit longer than twelve years to find out how durable your cg will be. I never tell anyone what to spend their money on just pass on from my experience. 

Everyone agrees the DT10 is a great gun and I'm not going to get into the willy waving stuff about my gun's better etc. but the reality is very few of us will ever wear out a mid range O/U. Very few guns are immune to problems and the DT10 has certainly had it's share.

Honestly put, I can't identify any aspect of my CG that looks particularly likely to wear out. The top lever is in the same position it was in 15000 shells ago, the firing pins look new, the blueing is still perfect and the bores are still brighter than on any Beretta I've ever looked at. The invictus isn't inherently stronger (whatever that means) than the standard CG range, in most ways it's little different mechanically, but it has a couple of extras like user replaceable recoil stops which perform a similar function to the replaceable shoulders on the DT10.

Guns are like other consumer goods from phones to cars and everything in between, in that we make a choice based on budget, purpose, recommendations, reviews and personal preferences. There are plenty of people shooting Blasers or Mirokus or CGs or Brownings etc., etc., who could easily afford a DT10 but they know, as do I, that DT10s don't suit everyone - any more than any other gun does.

From what I've seen amongst registered sporting shooters, there are certain guns that people seem more likely to stick with and the DT10 is certainly one, but, most people who buy a CG also tend to keep them too and some get shot a lot - and I mean a lot!

1 minute ago, Westward said:

Everyone agrees the DT10 is a great gun and I'm not going to get into the willy waving stuff about my gun's better etc. but the reality is very few of us will ever wear out a mid range O/U. Very few guns are immune to problems and the DT10 has certainly had it's share.

Honestly put, I can't identify any aspect of my CG that looks particularly likely to wear out. The top lever is in the same position it was in 15000 shells ago, the firing pins look new, the blueing is still perfect and the bores are still brighter than on any Beretta I've ever looked at. The invictus isn't inherently stronger (whatever that means) than the standard CG range, in most ways it's little different mechanically, but it has a couple of extras like user replaceable recoil stops which perform a similar function to the replaceable shoulders on the DT10.

Guns are like other consumer goods from phones to cars and everything in between, in that we make a choice based on budget, purpose, recommendations, reviews and personal preferences. There are plenty of people shooting Blasers or Mirokus or CGs or Brownings etc., etc., who could easily afford a DT10 but they know, as do I, that DT10s don't suit everyone - any more than any other gun does.

From what I've seen amongst registered sporting shooters, there are certain guns that people seem more likely to stick with and the DT10 is certainly one, but, most people who buy a CG also tend to keep them too and some get shot a lot - and I mean a lot!

Very well put, as with most threads regarding brands etc, they do always naturally seem to steer down the path of which is better or worse than said other brand, which is fine as long as it remains subjective and relevant.

Quality of manufacturing 

reliability 

Functionality and ease of use 

ergonomics, style and design

customer service and aftersales

these too me are the most important things when choosing pretty much anything of value, be it a toaster, car, watch, Hifi kit. Some of the above I will forego if one outweighs the other , eg great manufacturing, **** dealerships (BMW)

everything outside of this is personal to the shooter and what they actually like from an aesthetic point of view. Eg nice wood etc.. which again is still relevant when answering the original question, I mean who doesn’t like a nice piece of wood? 🤦🏻‍♂️

ejector issues on the early 692’s were certainly a point I’d expect to be raised back when they were released if the question was asked about quality and reliability. Weather or not it shoots better for some and not others, again is down to the shooter, fit etc..

im thinking of heading down to the NEC in Feb to the show to have a look at the current offerings and have a chat with the guys on the stands,  it sure the show went that well last year if I remember but still maybe worth a visit on the quite day. 

On 12/01/2019 at 16:05, TK421 said:

How do you go about trying all these different guns without actually buying them? I mean I can go road test any car I want, even get one for a whole weekend, easy then to make a decision, whereas unless you shoot in a group with people who have different guns you can try, what’s the best way to go about finding and shooting with the right gun? 

Mickley will let you take out any gun for sale in their shop, except brand new.  They have loads of 2nd hand and demo guns.  You just pay a tenner for cleaning.  That's how I made my choice.  Took 4 or 5 different guns out on lessons before arriving at my CG Summit.

23 minutes ago, Bede said:

Mickley will let you take out any gun for sale in their shop, except brand new.  They have loads of 2nd hand and demo guns.  You just pay a tenner for cleaning.  That's how I made my choice.  Took 4 or 5 different guns out on lessons before arriving at my CG Summit.

On it, I’ve gotta get this boxed off. Cheers again