HELP ME

fash

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me, Iam about to send in my form for my shotgun grant but I have an issue I cannot secure a gun cabinet to any walls that aren’t plaster board and I don’t have any completely non hollow walls would anyone be able to tell me how I can work round this.

As above, you will need to get back to a solid external wall if internals are stud partitions.

Not an ideal solution I know, but an alternative would be to lay it on its back and secure it to joists in your attic (if you have one) or roof space. 

Or possibly on its back fixed to floor joists and hidden within a wardrobe.

OB

Ps 12gauge82 just beat me to the 'on its back' solution.

Edited by Old Boggy

Hi, I would not recommend that you use the cgun cabinet fixing kits and go to a decent hardware store and buy some good bolts etc. Even if you do not have solid walls you can also fix the cabinet to the woodwork in stud walls, most cabinets also allow for fixing to the floor. So if you fix to the wall and floor, it should be ok. If in doubt call your FEO.

I went through the plaster board and direct into the brick, then bolted it to the wall (8 fixing points) It's in the corner where the external and internal walls join. I put mine above the skirting board and cut a solid oak block underneath, same footprint of the cabinet and the screwed bottom of cabinet to that. I then filled and small gaps where the cabinet meets the wall to tidy it up. Ensure there are no gaps any potential robber could get a crowbar into. Mine passed with flying colours. Usually your front and back walls are solid behind the board. If in any doubt, call your FEO and they will advise you further.

Edited by MarcMaxus

8 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Wait until your FEO visit and ask for their advice.

Resin and threaded bar should get you sorted in all situations unless you are one of the three little piggies living in a house of straw or house made of sticks? 

In that situation you'd need anti huff and puff bolts. 

Edited by walshie

Ideally in a cupboard as it limits angles of attack, remove plasterboard and locate studs. Fill in between studs with more studs so they are solid. (Nail or screw studs to bottom rail and top rails, and to left and right studs so all studs are nailed to neighbours) Replace plasterboard and make sure there are at least 10 holes in rear and 8 in bottom, coach screw your cabinet to solid area of studding and floor, you will need to bring wall down to remove cabinet and feo will be unable to move.

Much easier for thieves just to run a portable angle grinder over the door to gain access to  the shotgun inside than trying to remove cabinet.

Do you mean Chalk lump rather than clay? If so, drill through everything, right back into the chalk and then use threaded bar and resin anchors. I've done this on my last 2 houses and my bosses cabinet  and all have been passed quite happily. We have a 12ft metal gate hung on resin bonded studs at work so a cabinet would be not trouble

As others have said, there is always a solution.

I have had cabinets secured by coach bolts into the rafters in a loft, passed no problems.  from you posts you sound a little inexperienced (no offence intended, you've come to the right place!) so as has been mentioned you should seek advice from your FEO before deciding.

lets lay some myths to bed

I own a timber frame constuction house 

i also construct the as mentioned

I am a SGC and FAC and all passed by relevand   local  fac

I have in the past removed fac cabinets and they should 've not have passed any certiification

When i applied for my fac to coincide with my sgc the local fac had no problem issuing all my tickets and i live in a timber frame house

I can fix anything to timber frame that is not possible to do to some soft sandstone knackered  damp old cottage

I too live in a modern timber frame house, knowing I was going to install a cabinet I made inch thick plywood wall between studs where cabinet was going just incase I couldn't get coach bolts into the studs. I get two big coach bolts direct into the wooden wall studs and two into the thick ply. It ain't coming off the wall no matter how much you pull it.

As has been said if you can't fix into studs use long bits of threaded bar into the solid wall with anchor resin and fit nuts inside the cabinet trim down the excess bar job done.