New pup (night times)

Chezney

Hi all,

Have recently got a new lab pup (pictures to follow), had her a week now and she’s almost 10 weeks old.

Shes generally very good, learning fast, settled (had 3 nights no noise now). The problem is I’m still having trouble with dumping in the crate at night.

Feed her at 5-5.30PM, have a run around at about 6.30 and usually a dump, after that a bit of sleeping and indoor play, regular trips outside including the last one at 10.30ish PM. Settle to sleep for 15 mins then in the crate. I then come down at 2.45AM to let her out then 6.30AM for morning routine. I’ve come down twice now to a dump in the crate at 2.45AM, both times she hasn’t dumped at the last visit out, but had one 8.30PM or so.

Does this seem like a reasonable routine to achieve a clean night? Should I just stick to it and let her learn or modify it depending on evening antics, such as go down at 1AM if no dump at last visit out? Am I missing anything? She’s very good at going to bed and sleeping, but obviously just feels the urge at night! Also, has never wee’d at night in the crate.

A poo-ey problem!

Thanks in advance,

Chezney

34 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

We were told by a guide dog trainer to thoroughly clean the bed area so no residue poop smell to lessen urge to go in same place. 

Thanks. I did so. All disinfected etc. When I went down at 3am each time. First time the bed had to go in the wash 🙈

Make the crate only big enough to kip in, but a plywood divider in with some cable ties,

they wont kip in there own biz, 

dont  give her room to **** away from her bedding in the crate,

set e your alarm for every 3hrs after 10.30pm, and get the dog straight outside at these intervals, giving a wee wee command etc, with plenty of praise when the biz or wizz is done,

it it will soon learn,

the pup looks a cracker, good luck

flynny

2 hours ago, flynny said:

Make the crate only big enough to kip in, but a plywood divider in with some cable ties,

they wont kip in there own biz, 

don't  give her room to **** away from her bedding in the crate,

set e your alarm for every 3hrs after 10.30pm, and get the dog straight outside at these intervals, giving a wee wee command etc, with plenty of praise when the biz or wizz is done,

it it will soon learn,

the pup looks a cracker, good luck

flynny

I would re-phrase that to say, a dog and puppy especially doesn’t like to kip in their biz, but accidents happen. 

Making the space smaller won’t guarantee that it won’t happen. 

Mid you leave any dog too long without going out it’s going to happen, and unfortunately some puppies seem to develop the ability to hold it much better than others. 

As you have wisely suggested I have found the only real option is to get up late at night and put the dog out, giving a command, I use “go pee” and give lots of praise and fuss when this is done. 

Aside from that there is no playing or messing about and once done and praised its right back to bed. 

I would count yourself lucky that your dognis quiet at night, mine was an absolute howler for the first few weeks 😣 bloody nightmare he was. 

Always thought it's an odd time to feed a dog (in the evening) - the dog simply lays still most of the next 8-10 hours where the energy derived from the food is wasted. Try feeding half in the morning then the rest in the evening - go overboard with praise when she poops outside, maybe even a small treat. She looks gorgeous btw.

Edited by bruno22rf

Thanks for all the input. She can’t dump too far from her bed, but far enough so that she doesn’t get covered if she does. I hope that helps.

I’ll get her out slightly earlier tonight. Doing the command and big praise, this works well during the day, just need her to go at the right times now!

Agree with Flynny and Lloyd on all counts. Lots of praise when she she goes outside and when you take her out in the middle of the night, get her to go and no messing around, playtime or fuss. Also don’t let her paws touch the ground until she is outside.

Presume she is feeding three times a day and I would give her last feed later in the evening, maybe 7 or 8. 

Get yourself some animalcare odour eliminator to spray on the bedding and around the crate once you have cleaned it. to get rid of any smell

I would also look at getting up every three hours for the first 2 - 3 weeks. So if she is in the crate at 10:45, up at 1:45 and 4:45

Most of all, keep patient (which I know can be difficult) as the benefits in the long run outweigh the issues at the moment

Good luck mate