Sign in to follow this  
steve_b_wales

Scope / NV

I'm looing for a good scope that will also double up for use with an add on NV. I'm fancying the Hakwe Endurance 30 6-24x50 WA (SF) as this would be more suited for daytime/evening/range use on my .243. But would it be okay with NV? Has anyone used one?

What else would be suitable? I looking at spending aropund £450-500.

Theres a thread on either bbs or nv forum with suitable scopes if its for the pard ,top of my head it included , sidewinder , endurance WA , frontier ffp , falcon m18 to name but a few

1 minute ago, telf said:

Theres a thread on either bbs or nv forum with suitable scopes if its for the pard ,top of my head it included , sidewinder , endurance WA , frontier ffp , falcon m18 to name but a few

I will probably use a Pard 007. Thanks.:good:

Posted (edited)

If its for the Pard you'll want a lower starting mag like 3x for example because it has loads of built in zoom so it can also fulfill its dual purpose as a spotter. You'd apparently frequently struggle to acquire.

If you also want such high zoom to be available in the daytime maybe consider the likes of Bushnel Elite 2.5-16x42, or Sightron S-TAC 2.5-17.5x56.

Bear in mind the pard also zooms the retical thicker so the cross might cover the kill zone of small distant quarry.

Edited by Dave-G

Yes, 3x  even 2.5   essential in my view.  I have one of Dave's units on my 22BR fitted with an Hawke Eclipse 2.5 to 10 x 56 and it works very well.  I use it set at 2.5 but when needed have wound it up to 10 power and lose very little integrity.   Having it on 2.5 of course gives you a wider field of view making getting on the target animal that much easier after spotting it.  The BobLov spotter I have also is proving very useful.  Shot a muntie buck last evening right at last light. It was in deep shadow but the BobLov picked it out and I transferred to the rifle very easily.   Both Dave's unit and the spotter really do help right at that last 15 mins before darkness sets in. 

I use Nikko sterling game kings on my 223 and 17 with the Pard and seem to work well 

I'm thinking of now getting a Hawke Endurance 30 WA (SF) 4-16x50. I've been quoted a good price for a new one that is cheaper than anyone else. The scope will also be used extensively for day/evening/range use. I also like the fact that there's a lifetime warranty.

Steve - I have an Endurance 6-24x50 on my .17 Hornet - L4 Dot ret - love it 😉 mine isn’t the WA version but I got a great deal on it. 

On 07/01/2019 at 15:52, V8 90 said:

Steve - I have an Endurance 6-24x50 on my .17 Hornet - L4 Dot ret - love it 😉 mine isn’t the WA version but I got a great deal on it. 

I've had many Hawke scopes these past years. I've got an Endurance 30 on my .22 Hornet, but it's fixed parallax which is'nt very good with NV add on's. As mentioned, I've been offered a new one which is quite a few £s cheaper than other retailers are selling it for, plus I like the warranty. One of my Hawke scopes, which was 7 years old, developed a small fault, and I sent it back under warranty. It was replaced with a brand new better one.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm thinking of now getting a Hawke Endurance 30 WA (SF) 4-16x50. I've been quoted a good price for a new one that is cheaper than anyone else. The scope will also be used extensively for day/evening/range use. I also like the fact that there's a lifetime warranty. 

I use a Pard on the very same scope and if I was buying again I would go for the same model but in 3-12 because of the FOV even at the lowest mag, it is usable but not ideal.

Edited by JRDS

2 hours ago, JRDS said:

I use a Pard on the very same scope and if I was buying again I would go for the same model but in 3-12 because of the FOV even at the lowest mag, it is usable but not ideal.

I think the 3-12x model is fixed parallax which wouldn't be suitable for the PARD. I intend using the PARD on my 243, but also intend using it on my 204 & 22 Hornet.

Have a look at the baby s-tac 4-20 x 50 moa2 ret great in the day , great at night , in budget...

4 minutes ago, boo said:

Have a look at the baby s-tac 4-20 x 50 moa2 ret great in the day , great at night , in budget...

👍

prefer the saightron over the hawk . lifetime guarantee really nice glass..

19 minutes ago, boo said:

prefer the saightron over the hawk . lifetime guarantee really nice glass..

I know they are quality scopes. Hawks (Endurance) range also carry a lifetime warranty. I'll take a closer look at sightron when I'm off this night shift.

6 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I stand corrected. 😀

You weren't the only one that found most of the Google results showed it as fiixed parallax Steve.

I've just bought the Endurance 30 WA (SF) 4-16x50. This will be on my .243 for day/evening/range use, and with the PARD 007 for Fox shooting.

Posted (edited)

Great scope for the money, bottom end mag a tad high for the Pard but still a good compromise for day and night mine is OK just wish Pard would do a zero Mag unit.  Ping me your addy if you need a shim (FOC) just needs a few winds of tape for a perfect fit for the 45mm clamp. 

Edited by JRDS

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've just bought the Endurance 30 WA (SF) 4-16x50. This will be on my .243 for day/evening/range use, and with the PARD 007 for Fox shooting.

hello, good luck with your new set up steve👍

12 hours ago, JRDS said:

Great scope for the money, bottom end mag a tad high for the Pard but still a good compromise for day and night mine is OK just wish Pard would do a zero Mag unit.  Ping me your addy if you need a shim (FOC) just needs a few winds of tape for a perfect fit for the 45mm clamp. 

Thanks. Looking at the dimensions of the Endurance scope, the occular end is 46mm, so may have a problem fitting the PARD over it, unless I get a 48mm one and add a shim. I'll check it out when I buy the PARD.

Oh right 6mm bigger than my Vantage.  Not sure where you are buying from but CRS will supply shims made to your scope measurements for about a fiver, will look neater than a piece of waste pipe.

1 hour ago, JRDS said:

Oh right 6mm bigger than my Vantage.  Not sure where you are buying from but CRS will supply shims made to your scope measurements for about a fiver, will look neater than a piece of waste pipe.

I'm buying the 'scope from North Nott's Shooting Supplies, as he quoted me the best price.

My other Endurance 30  'scope measures 44mm approx. I'm just going off the dimensions online.

Who is 'CRS'?