Warts

steve_b_wales

Can someone recommend a product for removing warts? I have a few on my hands that are now becoming a nuicance. In the past, many years ago, I tried Compound W which did work, but took a long time. There's products on the market that freeze the wart and are supposed to work quicker. Has anyone used these?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve

Warts  being many types are a malady in their own right and like the vast plethora of skin conditions which are the most difficult area within primary care to deal with there being over 300 types of conditions a dermatologist once told me.

most commonly raised and cauliflower like in appearance, however can also be plain and flat topped, filiform warts long and slender usually on the face and neck too name a few.

Typically warts typically resolve within few months - couple of years however in some cases warts can persist up to 10 years.

Treatments can be lengthy and have side effects, pain, depigmentation and scarring among others, that said if wart is painful, cosmetic or persisting I understand the motives for treatment.

Treatment options can be topical salysilic acid formulations up to 12 weeks or alternatively cryofreezing of the wart, some side effects mentioned as above.

Salysilic acid is contraindicated (not advised) in application of warts to the face, anal genital areas, birthmarks, broken skin, open wounds etc.

Diagnosis need to be made first as some warty appearance are other conditions such as keratosis, lichen planus to name a few of the many malady that affect our skin.

Get them looked at first then you can hopefully be on the right track.

Some pharmacists have now being trained in clinical assessment and may be able to advise on treatment, walk in center or gp your other alternatives

atb

7diaw

51 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Can someone recommend a product for removing warts? I have a few on my hands that are now becoming a nuicance. In the past, many years ago, I tried Compound W which did work, but took a long time. There's products on the market that freeze the wart and are supposed to work quicker. Has anyone used these?

This may sound crazy, but it worked for me.......

Many years ago I was prone to getting them on the inside of my thumbs and my Gran said to put the milk from a Dandelion on them.  I did, and they were gone in a couple of weeks, and never returned😀

Just break the stem of the flower and squeeze out the white substance; smear it on (regularly for a few days) and wait for the results.......  Can't harm you to try😀

30 minutes ago, KB1 said:

This may sound crazy, but it worked for me.......

Many years ago I was prone to getting them on the inside of my thumbs and my Gran said to put the milk from a Dandelion on them.  I did, and they were gone in a couple of weeks, and never returned😀

Just break the stem of the flower and squeeze out the white substance; smear it on (regularly for a few days) and wait for the results.......  Can't harm you to try😀

In my youth my left had was covered in them with two huge ones on the back.  Tried for years and every concoction to get rid of them nothing worked However while watching Saturday Sport on TV my mother started rubbing them with a piece of raw meat which she then buried in the garden, I told her not be so soft and carried on watching the sport

That evening while out with my pals drinking in our favourite pub one of the Lads said Whats Wrong with your hand? all the warts were a bright yellow in colour. Over the following week these same warts got smaller and smaller and then disappeared. To this day I don't how but they did.

1 hour ago, walshie said:

Salactol. It's not going to be an overnight process with any brand though. 

This works fine.To speed it up i nail clip as much of the wart off until its very raw and then apply.

Nippy to the extreme but wears off and the warts dont usually survive it long.

2 hours ago, krugerandsmith said:

In my youth my left had was covered in them with two huge ones on the back.  Tried for years and every concoction to get rid of them nothing worked However while watching Saturday Sport on TV my mother started rubbing them with a piece of raw meat which she then buried in the garden, I told her not be so soft and carried on watching the sport

That evening while out with my pals drinking in our favourite pub one of the Lads said Whats Wrong with your hand? all the warts were a bright yellow in colour. Over the following week these same warts got smaller and smaller and then disappeared. To this day I don't how but they did.

Was your mother Welsh? Mine was and she swore by the same remedy only it was a piece of bacon not a piece of meat.  I never had warts so never tested her theory.

Many years ago I had a big wart on one of my right knuckles . This was very persistant and survived many attempts to kill it off . One day at work I was about to load some gear on the work truck and I dropped the tail gate down very quickly and one of the pins that hold the tail gate in place caught the wart and literally ripped it off my knuckle,it hurt like hell and bled profusely. It turned out to be a cure as it never came back .

harnser

Crush the heads off matches mix to a paste with little alcohol and apply to the warts, wait till dry and touch a flame to the warts. They will disappear in no time. It's the same process as freezing them off but the opposite end of the scale. Never failed to work so long as you mix and apply enough paste.

Your allowed to growl as it works but cruise g is for girls and wusses only.

Another quick method is the still glowing tip of a welding rod pushed into the wart, kills them in a couple of seconds.

Yes I have used both methods along with nail clippers and  pliers.

3 hours ago, Bobba said:

Was your mother Welsh? Mine was and she swore by the same remedy only it was a piece of bacon not a piece of meat.  I never had warts so never tested her theory.

Meat and bacon, that's posh. It's half an old potato here in Hertfordshire.