Grand prix

On 05/01/2019 at 15:42, Farmboy91 said:

Does anyone know what sizes gp's originally came in? 

Ive got 4's 5's and 6's in paper cased now and would like to make it a complete set, cant seem to find a list online but I'm sure someone on here who used them back in the day will know. 

Thanks in advance. 

You got them in RT paper BBs I shot my first pink with them 

If you can get hold of an old Eley Diary or a photo of the page, they had a full list of shot sizes available in all their cartridges.

There was a time in the early seventies when Eley cartridges where short due to an explosion at the factory.

I got hold of ' Maximum ' size 2 shot plastic case for foxing. Can't remember where they came from but the boxes where marked up in German writing, I would imagine they were export only. 

Edited by Robertt

2 hours ago, Robertt said:

If you can get hold of an old Eley Diary or a photo of the page, they had a full list of shot sizes available in all their cartridges.

There was a time in the early seventies when Eley cartridges where short due to an explosion at the factory.

I got hold of ' Maximum ' size 2 shot plastic case for foxing. Can't remember where they came from but the boxes where marked up in German writing, I would imagine they were export only. 

Ill have a look on fleabay for the diary, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely keep an eye out for boxes marked up in foreign too. 

On 10/01/2019 at 10:12, Robertt said:

I remember getting some "Canuck" cartridges, I think they were imported from Canada when Eley's weren't available?

In have got stacks of old brochures and grand prix was definately listed in shot sizes bb-9 in the late 60's when the first plastic cases were introduced. Fairly sure that Hymax and Alphamax were also in the same shot sizes

I have shed loads of Eley 16's in both paper and plastic case in loads of different shot sizes grand prix, hymax, maximum etc, got a full box of trapshooting to pick up from southams next week from their december sale, looking forward to having that in the collection of oddballs 😉  I have grand prix plastic case 16's in SSG (RTO green case), BB, 1, 2 3, 4, 5 , 6, 7 for definite, even got some eley Trainer 16g in shot size 9 and a 3'' gastight paper case 16g. If you look hard enough you can find them but don't get too keen on the 16's unless you want to send some my way of course 😉

55 minutes ago, busbiter said:

In have got stacks of old brochures and grand prix was definately listed in shot sizes bb-9 in the late 60's when the first plastic cases were introduced. Fairly sure that Hymax and Alphamax were also in the same shot sizes

I have shed loads of Eley 16's in both paper and plastic case in loads of different shot sizes grand prix, hymax, maximum etc, got a full box of trapshooting to pick up from southams next week from their december sale, looking forward to having that in the collection of oddballs 😉  I have grand prix plastic case 16's in SSG (RTO green case), BB, 1, 2 3, 4, 5 , 6, 7 for definite, even got some eley Trainer 16g in shot size 9 and a 3'' gastight paper case 16g. If you look hard enough you can find them but don't get too keen on the 16's unless you want to send some my way of course 😉

Thanks, I'm going to start with the GP and try and go from there, hopefully I'll be at the first UKCC meet this year and see what I can pick up. 

All I've got in GP 16 so far is is 5,6 and 7,all Plas cased though. I think the next holts sealed bid I'll try and get hold of some, currently in the process of trying to get hold of a big mixed load via an email. 

Happy to swap some 16's should I ever get anything your after. 

23 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thanks, I'm going to start with the GP and try and go from there, hopefully I'll be at the first UKCC meet this year and see what I can pick up. 

All I've got in GP 16 so far is is 5,6 and 7,all Plas cased though. I think the next holts sealed bid I'll try and get hold of some, currently in the process of trying to get hold of a big mixed load via an email. 

Happy to swap some 16's should I ever get anything your after. 

Sounds good mate, always after 16's. Love the old rottweil cartridges too, was shooting some 30 year old waidmansheill up at Iken last week and had some lovely fast pheasants with them

9 minutes ago, busbiter said:

Sounds good mate, always after 16's. Love the old rottweil cartridges too, was shooting some 30 year old waidmansheill up at Iken last week and had some lovely fast pheasants with them

I might have a coupe rottweil if the other buy comes off. 

I don't wanna shoot any of the ones I've collected so far 😂. Fired one just so id shot something paper cased and could smell the smell, not sure I'll do anymore now. 

8 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

From a book published in 1958:

Grand Prix  High Velocity (crimped): BB, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Grand Prix (crimped): 4,5,6,7

Grand Prix (rolled): BB,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,  LG(6),SG(9),Spec.SG(12),AAA(37),Spherical Ball,Rifled Slug

Thats pretty comprehensive, thank you.

Whats the book called? Would be a nice piece to add to the collection. 

6 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thats pretty comprehensive, thank you.

Whats the book called? Would be a nice piece to add to the collection. 

Automatic and Repeating Shotguns by Richard Arnold. There's just one cartridge related chapter (Chokes, Compensators and Ballistics) that lists the then complete Eley range.

Edited by TriBsa