Red dots for shotguns

PPP

Purely as an experiment I’d like to try a red dot on my Franchi BUT I don’t want to drop a monkey on aimpoint..

I see several places have Hawke red dots for 50 -150 which I can live with.

Has anyone used one for a shotgun? Any recommendations please

I have a Hawke and use it either on my 8x57JRS double rifle or my T/C 375 JDJ, the JDJ will hurt you if you don't hold it correctly but the hawke red dot has withstood a fair number of shots and proved to hold accuracy well.    For a Shotgun with slugs on driven big game they would work well.  No 'aiming' as such , just put the dot where you want the projectile to go and it doesn't have to be centred in the optic either.

Just now, PPP said:

Purely as an experiment I’d like to try a red dot on my Franchi BUT I don’t want to drop a monkey on aimpoint..

I see several places have Hawke red dots for 50 -150 which I can live with.

Has anyone used one for a shotgun? Any recommendations please

Yes .

IMG_20170908_122328.jpg

14 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have a Hawke and use it either on my 8x57JRS double rifle or my T/C 375 JDJ, the JDJ will hurt you if you don't hold it correctly but the hawke red dot has withstood a fair number of shots and proved to hold accuracy well.    For a Shotgun with slugs on driven big game they would work well.  No 'aiming' as such , just put the dot where you want the projectile to go and it doesn't have to be centred in the optic either.

Brill, which Hawke model please?

5 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Yes .

IMG_20170908_122328.jpg

Hi, which is this please?

I know aimpoint used to claim it didn’t matter if you were rushing and mounted the gun wrong, the dot would move as your head moved so you’d always be aiming straight. 

They claimed no other red dot could do this ...

not sure if this was true or whether it stil is ... 

53 minutes ago, PPP said:

Brill, which Hawke model please?

Hi, which is this please?

Red Dot 30.  I take it this is for slugs or shooting static or moving big game not bird shooting because I do not think it would work on flying game BUT never tried it, could be surprised.

Edited by Walker570

Many years ago I tried one called 'singlepoint'.

In my case - all it did was make my eye much more likely to focus on the gun - not the target.

I have since learned (the hard way!) that when the (shot)gun fits correctly ...... you don't need sights/beads.  Concentrate on the target mount and shoot.  In my case - IF I see the bead/sight, I am much more likely to miss as it means my concentration is not on the target.

They usually sit higher than the normal line of sight for clay shooting, causing problems with mount/swing. As a half measure you could try an optical foresight for about twenty quid which still  gives you the appearance of a red dot in the sky.

My mate loved his, I found it distracting. 

Edited by Vince Green

Sounds good, yep it’s for wing shooting, just keen to try one to be quite honest, nothing wrong with the gun as stands and agree that with my other guns I never see the gun at all, just quarry (especially sxs which H and H fitted for me)

Ive never quite gelled with the Franchi so thought I’d give this a go as it seems to shoot a little low, if I can’t get on with it then I’ll stick on an air rifle for kids.

I have it in my hand...the red dot sight...at this moment and can confirm it does exactly that and I was led to believe that is the whole point of a red dot over a normal scope which will slightly move if the reticule is not centred and you have a nice clean circle to look at.   Has certainly worked for me both shooting at stationary and moving large animals.  A great advantage when a pig suddenly bursts across a narrow track, far better than just open sights or a scope. The whole point of mounting it forward is to be able to see the target and then float that dot the required distance ahead all in one smooth movement.  Once used to it you don't actually see the actual unit ..just the dot.   150yrds is about the furthest I have shot an animal stationary and the result was equal to a normal scope but much easier to acquire.

1 hour ago, the farrier said:

I would like to try one on my Hushpower Mossberg .410, but I will need to get the action drilled and tapped for a rail as sadly Mossberg do not do this as standard on their .410 model.

You can get an inexpensive red dot that fits rib on the 410 hushpower, I have one and previous threads cover them.

Reddot.jpg

Edited by Stonepark

8 hours ago, quentyn said:

be aware if you have an astigmatism you will never get the red dot in focus. it will still be useable but even with glasses it will be slightly out of focus

my one drove me mad till i came across a youtube video ( from twang and bang i think) where he mentioned it 

Thanks for this, that rules it out for me!