Jump to content
squirrel shooter

18650 Batteries (unprotected & protected)

    Recommended Posts

    Hi I just bought a pard nv, which is powered by a 18650. I never knew that you get protected and unprotected circuit boards on the batteries. This can add several mm in length if you have a protected one. To cut a long story short, i need some more unprotected 18650 batteries to use in my pard, as most of mine are protected - which are too long to fit in the pard. Any recommendations?

    Thanks in advance! 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    There are usually about 8 of them in an old laptop battery... 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    hello, that is interesting to know, i wondered why some Panasonic i got out of a battery pack like dave mentioned were shorter and fitted my T torches better, i got 4 good ones from the 8 so worth a consider.  

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

    hello, that is interesting to know, i wondered why some Panasonic i got out of a battery pack like dave mentioned were shorter and fitted my T torches better, i got 4 good ones from the 8 so worth a consider.  

    Dave, do all laptop packs have these 18650 batteries in them, ? i need some more for my general white led torch, 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I had a delve into 18650's and solar charging and subsequently aquired loads of old laptop batteries from my local pc repair shop and they all had unprotected 18650's in, The protection circuit in them are a seperate pcb board controlling the lot.

     

    20190106-091051.jpg
    20190106-091116.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    6 minutes ago, Snoozer said:

    I had a delve into 18650's and solar charging and subsequently aquired loads of old laptop batteries from my local pc repair shop and they all had unprotected 18650's in, The protection circuit in them are a seperate pcb board controlling the lot.

     

    20190106-091051.jpg
    20190106-091116.jpg

    hello, thanks for that Snoozer, what percentage were good to use and do you use a gadget to check the batteries, i just used my normal charger and found a few would not hold any charge 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited)

    Probably got around 50% which were in a usable range and I have a specific chargers that checks/charges/discharges them then I junked the bad ones keeping what was usable and eventually sorting them into values close to each other for a better balanced set.

    You must be carefull charging these as they can have a very bad attitude.

    I use these 2 for charging.

     

    20190106-093425.jpg

    Edited by Snoozer

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited)
    1 hour ago, Snoozer said:

    Probably got around 50% which were in a usable range and I have a specific chargers that checks/charges/discharges them then I junked the bad ones keeping what was usable and eventually sorting them into values close to each other for a better balanced set.

    You must be carefull charging these as they can have a very bad attitude.

    I use these 2 for charging.

     

    20190106-093425.jpg

    thankyou for posting and i always alway keep a check on any batteries being charged if that is what you mean 

    Edited by oldypigeonpopper

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I get weed off at the doom mongers who post up videos of what happens if some absolute idiot uses an incorrect charging device and method to deliberately cause a drastic overcharge issue - whilst expressing dire warnings about how unsafe they are. They are safe when charged with the correct device.

    Don't just take my words for it, watch the video on youtube and read the comments.

    Here is a charger that charges each cell individually, and checks their charge staus every second or so

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitecore-D4-Charger-18650-26650-IMR-UNIVERSAL-LIFEP04-BATTERY-UK/253252494431

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Have one of those advised by Dave-G, works fine BUT I still don't just leave my batteries charging without checking frequently, even my phone.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    34 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

    I get weed off at the doom mongers who post up videos of what happens if some absolute idiot uses an incorrect charging device and method to deliberately cause a drastic overcharge issue - whilst expressing dire warnings about how unsafe they are. They are safe when charged with the correct device.

    Don't just take my words for it, watch the video on youtube and read the comments.

    Here is a charger that charges each cell individually, and checks their charge staus every second or so

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitecore-D4-Charger-18650-26650-IMR-UNIVERSAL-LIFEP04-BATTERY-UK/253252494431

     

     

    Yep I bet all those Samsung Note 7 owners will totally agree was nothing more than scare mongering when their Mobile fones went up in smoke.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    19 minutes ago, Snoozer said:

    Yep I bet all those Samsung Note 7 owners will totally agree was nothing more than scare mongering when their Mobile fones went up in smoke.

     

    Never having had a Note I have to say I did'nt realise they were bulky enough to have individual 18650 cells in them.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Ah I should of explained in more simple terms my bad, 18650's are a lithium-ion cell as are most mobile fone batteries and display the same characturistics when charged in correctly or malfunction, They tend to explode or catch fire.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Snoozer said:

    Ah I should of explained in more simple terms my bad, 18650's are a lithium-ion cell as are most mobile fone batteries and display the same characturistics when charged in correctly or malfunction, They tend to explode or catch fire.

    Ah, maybe I should have explained more simply ( and you can check it) that the topic we were discussing until you derailed it, is where some individual flat top 18650 battery cells to power a Pard NV could be obtained.

    No advice was sought about using incorrect batteries, or packs or charging practices that would cause a single cell to malfunction, nor was it implied the OP or anyone else proposed to do so. :lol:

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×