Blaser f16 / Benelli 828u.

plank06

I have access to both of these guns so I can give you some opinions, I like both these guns in different ways and a lot depends on personal preference and what you use it for.

Remember the 828u is primarily a field gun but my wife has one for clays as the weight of many sporters was a problem and the adjustability is useful. I use it for game as the light weight makes it very easy to handle. It is very light ~6.5 lb I think in 30 inch (best option I think) but handles quite nicely when you get used to the weight. I have shot many 32g 5's on a day and with thicker clothing in winter is not a problem but you have to hold on to it properly. For clays 100 + 28g is possible but can beat you up a bit, pick a soft 21 or 24g though and its fine, the recoil system actually works but you have to remember its a light gun and physics is physics. We have had no issues with the gun, I know people that use it as a clay gun and have not had issues but I hear from gunshops that they have had to fix some.... I would say the way it works is quite clever and feel is good but it doesn't feel super solid and have a super satisfying feel as it closes.

My FIL has an F16 which I really enjoy shooting and get on with much better than a 725 he had before. It feels very natural to shoot with the low receiver and I would say the slightly lighter than average weight makes it a good all rounder for clays and the field if the looks work for you. my observations are that the bottom barrel can be a pain to load due to the very low action, you have to fully break the barrels to get the bottom cartridge in, this seems to get me every time and never happens with other guns. Also I would say for a relatively new gun ( 2.5 years) it already feels worn in (looseish), i'm not sure if this is god or bad but time will tell, exterior finish is also showing some wear.

I hope thats helpful

My nephew has the Benelli and shoots both clays and game with it. The former are usually 100 bird days and he really enjoys using it. He’s never mentioned recoil and he isn’t exactly a big bloke. 

The Gun Room lads have a review of the Benelli on YouTube if you haven’t see it.  

1 hour ago, plank06 said:

just wondering what people’s thoughts are on these two guns. would be keen to hear from users of either. Particularly about felt recoil from the benelli. 

i would stay away from the f16 look at the previous post on hear the gun handles really well, but to many faults my mates has gone back  for good was three months old was very disappointed with the gun 6 faults in three months 

+1 for the benelli tried one recently and it was excellent it’s on my shortlist for new gun purchases in 2019. As for the blaser I have heard too many bad reports to invest that amount of money. Friend I shoot with bought a new F3 and he’s had lots of issues failure to eject, logo coming off and bluing wearing thin after only a few months. I have owned Blaser rifles (LRS 2 in 6.5 x 55 SM) and it was amazing but it wouldn’t buy one of their shotguns but that’s just my opinion. 

Should have said I didn’t notice the recoil on the 828U being anything significant over other guns I own. 

I've never shot the Benelli but I have shot F16s and they do work very well for me on clays. Lovely guns to shoot with but yes, the logos do wear off too rapidly. All I would say about the 828 is that they make both a field and a heavier sporting version for clays.

I like the thought of being able to alter the gun fit. Whichever I get it would be 50/50 clay / field use.  Also going to try the browning 725 out... shame there’s a few issues with the Blaser! 

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

Both guns are not without faults, have a read online about the problems.

Why only those two guns?  Plenty of other nice guns out there in the price range to try.

I’m quite open really to most guns, they’re just two that stood out as something a bit different from the norm. not really too fussed about traditional silver engraved actions. It will all come down to fit in the end.. want a gun to stick with!

If you buy adjustable Comb gun or find a gun youike and have one fitted you can alter it to suit. Different spacers or thickness of butt pad takes care of theength of pull.

There are plenty of guns out of the norm if that's what floats your boat. The Chappius makes guns to your specs for not a lot of money.

Edited by figgy

Seen few 828s but have seen more faults with them everyone I’ve seen had a issue from split ribs to ejector issues and with the unusually design gunsmiths aren’t overly familiar with them.  The F16 on the other hand I’ve used a lot as coaching guns and yes some had issues but most where very sound and got more use than the average gun.  

However the 725 imho is much more reliable than either of the others. 

Must admit I'm very much liking the looks of the 725 Pro Sport adjustable ( the one with the trap fore end ) A mate of mine has one and got to handle it on a driven day at the weekend. Brownings always come up nice. A ( very good ) lady shot whom I often see at Southwaite has one also; I'm thinking I should take up her offer of having a few shots with it. Sorry for derailing the thread a little. 

Scully try it if you can, I've tried a couple and both had a weird twang on firing. My mate said he heard and felt it when he tried one.

Very nice looking guns, lad who shoots with us at times has a Browning Ultra with the high rib and fully adjustable, looks very nice with some of the best wood I've seen on a Browning.

So many times I've shot guns I have really liked the look of to be disappointed.

To the OP have you tried any F3 Pro guns some handle and shoot very well.

Edited by figgy

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

Must admit I'm very much liking the looks of the 725 Pro Sport adjustable ( the one with the trap fore end ) A mate of mine has one and got to handle it on a driven day at the weekend. Brownings always come up nice. A ( very good ) lady shot whom I often see at Southwaite has one also; I'm thinking I should take up her offer of having a few shots with it. Sorry for derailing the thread a little. 

Also like that model scully. Will shoulder it and see if I can try it out! The trap forend... is that just  different shape of the wood? Still just a sporter?

6 minutes ago, figgy said:

Scully try it if you can, I've tried a couple and both had a weird twang on firing. My mate said he heard and felt it when he tried one.

Very nice looking guns, lad who shoots with us at times has a Browning Ultra with the high rib and fully adjustable, looks very nice with some of the best wood I've seen on a Browning.

So many times I've shot guns I have really liked the look of to be disappointed.

To the OP have you tried any F3 Pro guns some handle and shoot very well.

Not tried the F3 figgy, probably a bit more than I’d be looking to spend. 

Saw a chappuis advert in one of shooting mags a couple of weeks ago. Will have a look now

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Handled one at Gilsans also, but would certainly like to try one. Malmo have a demo' model in.  

1 hour ago, plank06 said:

Also like that model scully. Will shoulder it and see if I can try it out! The trap forend... is that just  different shape of the wood? Still just a sporter?

Yes, trap fore ends are usually wider and blunter and I've always preferred them, but it's mostly a cosmetic thing with me, I just don't like the look of raked back or forward fore ends.

12 hours ago, Scully said:

I just recently got rid of my 30" 692 Sporter and replaced it with a 32" 725 ProTrap adjustable as an allrounder. I am delighted with the Browning I've had it out at clays several times and one driven day so far and it just feels so much better and I shoot it better too, especially the higher stuff. I did look at the ProSport but went with the Trap version instead. I prefer a more parallel comb. (There's £150 cashback on them too just now.)

Edited by farmer7