AA tx200 / HW97 How many of you tune theirs

rayo

Thinking of  getting a TX200 or maybe a  HW97  but I'm noticing that a lot of folk get them tuned . I would like to know if anyone just shoots the factory standard models and don't see the need to get them tuned 

I am led to believe tuned rifles are more accurate and quieter than standard

Any advice greatly appreciated  

Just now, villaman said:

What a load of rubbish you talk 

Am I ? 🤓

Well if you took 100.  tx 200 s and the same hw 97 s fresh out the factory .and tested them for feel and accuracy etc .

Your gonna find some that are amazing plenty that are good  ,some that could be better and others that are horrible .

On both brands .

Its just that the tx 200 is built better inside and has much more potential the be sweet with the bits it has .and as such if you buy one your chances of getting a good or a great one is a lot higher than with a hw97 .imo .

They can both be tuned to be excellent guns .the tx just has more potential  .

I do curently own a hw .but its a hw30 .

And it is sweet .at 6 fpe 

I'm with ultrastu on this - the TX is well known as practically a custom rifle as standard. HW used be up with  the best Air Rifle makers in Europe but, whilst still being a benchmark product, quality control issues have blighted their once impeccable reputation whereas AA have simply built better guns over the same period. As with any product you will get the odd **** but my money would go on the TX every time.

Edited by bruno22rf

Over the years I've tinkered with dozens of springers, mostly AA Prosports and TX200s but with a fair few HW rifles as well.

Most of the AA rifles needed nothing more than a clean and relube (Think of servicing your car) with a few internal changes that weren't needed but were done to try and improve the feel of the standard rifle. Basically solid and well engineered as standard.

HW rifles seemed to have been at the top of the pile for a long time but over the years their standards seem to have slipped. Quite a few have needed deburring, some had badly finished springs from new, some twang like a banjo and there are well known issues with the 99 around the cocking arm and foot. I've handled some cheaper rifles lately that from new seem quieter, smoother to operate and better value for money.

Buy a older hw77. Chances are it's had a few quid spent on it, and was made in the era when they were top of the game. Superb guns. Always overlooked, although I wouldn't buy a new one if they still produce them. 

TX found very solid, can't fault it although I didn't  get on with it.

I used to shoot a hw97 but found the  BSA superstar a nicer gun alround, even with that stupid loading breach .

My choice out of today's lot, Walther lgu or a prosport.

Edited by strimmer_13

Cant comment on the air arms but i bought a hw97k and hated it. Twangy and really heavy. So it sat un used for a year or more then i sold it and bought a bsa ultra and pump.

Before the hw i had a bsa lightning. I know many dont like them but mine was great. Just wanted to upgrade so bought the hw. Didnt live up to the hype. Didnt suit my kind of shooting, mainly pest control. 

I used my 97k for about 9 years before I had to open it up. When I did I gave it a good clean, tbt service kit as was then and a home made spring guide. Can't say it made a massive amount of difference. All springers need a tin or two of pellets through them in my humble, to bed the action and settle everything down. 

Buy it, shoot it a lot then decide. 

For the cost difference new, if you get the tx your paying for a 97k +tune. 

They are both a lot more accurate than the normal shooter out of the box, so you need to shoulder them at a shop or range to see which you prefer. 

21 hours ago, haynes said:

Cant comment on the air arms but i bought a hw97k and hated it. Twangy and really heavy. So it sat un used for a year or more then i sold it and bought a bsa ultra and pump.

Before the hw i had a bsa lightning. I know many dont like them but mine was great. Just wanted to upgrade so bought the hw. Didnt live up to the hype. Didnt suit my kind of shooting, mainly pest control. 

Thats a very familiar story. 

I have had 4 bsa  lightenings .still got 2 of them .and they were /are all great guns easy to shoot and hunt with and my current .177 is the nicest springer ive ever shot . (Including my tx200 ) 

And ive shot a lot of peoples (super tuned guns ) that werent as good .Bsa lightening are very underated imo .

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 06:56, winnie&bezza said:

I’ve been wanting a springer again for a while now and have decided when funds alllow to get a pro sport. 

Another to throw into the mix is the Walther LGU. Shoots like a tuned rifle apparently but not the best looking of the bunch.

LGU   

this from another forum 

basic engineering inside isn't as good as we all thought. Comp tubes aren't hardened so they burr up badly and the shoe jumps out and then the lever won't return. The only place to get a hardened tube is Germany at least £70 plus delivery.John Rothery doesn't carry any spares and it's a long wait for him to get them

I used to have a tx 200 and it was spot on as standard, just too pretty to drag through the bushes. I've now got a hw97tk , it was good as standard maybe a bit jumpy. I passed it to a supremo tuner locally who put in a tbt kit and polished the internals. Its now a totally improved gun, smooth, able to stay on POI, quieter, but still heavy and ugly. It's been really successful out past 50 metres on many occasions.

Edited by Pistol p