pinfire

Found a rather nice double pinfire shotgun, would be a lovely gun for boxing days, but it is in 13 bore,I know pinfire cases can be reloaded, but is there anywhere I could find cases (or ammo), in this bore? or anyone who could make me a few brass cases? Or the feasability of having chamber opened to12 bore & re/ black powder proof?

Edited by guzzicat

You could try Graham but the work and cost of making them in 16 bore for me was prohibitive. The pin fires he did I am sure were large bore. I think you will struggle to get anything for it unless you can find a freindly engineer. You might find some in 14 bore that would fit if you look around long enough and keep an eye on the fairs and auctions

is it actually chambered in 13 bore? - Or are the barrels just bored at 13 bore. For example i have seen historic guns where the barrels are bored and marked as "15" or "11" on the flats - yet the guns are chambered for 12 bore. The boring is not necessarily the same as the chamber size. the number on the underside of the tubes is just the size of the bore 9 inch from the breech when proofed. So the tubes might have been 13 bore when proofed but always chambered for 12 bore cartridges, I have had many many older guns like this.   There was more variation way back then  but 12/14/16 bore were pretty common. I have taken dimensional drawings of 12 and 14 bore pin fire cartridges; 14 bore need to be specially made; it is possible to adapt conventional modern 12 bore cartridges to pinfire.

• 1 year later...