Greener GP Identification

HELIflipper03

4 hours ago, Tadorna said:

is mine in there? 48657

Yep, made in 1963 by Greener.

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

Flippin' 'eck.

Just seen the price of that volume - same as my 'House Of Churchill'.

Need to charge a £5 donation to Help For Heroes would seem fair enough for the info'. :good::lol:

I paid £25 for my copy, signed personally by Graham Greener

OB

8 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Now, that's what you call an investment. I think the Churchill cost me. £40 - not signed.

Just looked at the book`s cover and it has £39 on that. Also googled it and it seems to vary between £55 up to ...... £245.58 !!!

OB

2 hours ago, Andy RV said:

OB, can I be cheeky as ask if my GP appears in your book? The serial number is 3323.

Thanks! 

The book list GP gun Nos.2765-3659 as made by Webley in 1926. So if that is correct, your gun is 92 years old !!

If you could post some photos of the proof marks, then perhaps this could be corroborated. 

OB

Just now, Andy RV said:

Interesting, thank you. I had a feeling it was old but not that old!

Heres a picture of the proof marks; 

K6L9XjV.jpg

Over to Gunman or someone far more conversant with proof marks than me to corroborate the listed date of 1926.

OB

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Darren30 said:

Hi,

Looking some help dating my Greener GP wondering if anyone could help me? Serial number 39118. Any information on the gun would be great! Thanks.

Graham Greener's book states that serial Nos.38775-39400 were made in 1959. so your gun is 61 years old.

Hope that helps.

OB

On 08/01/2019 at 21:08, Old Boggy said:

Over to Gunman or someone far more conversant with proof marks than me to corroborate the listed date of 1926.

OB

Pre 1954 rules of proof . Interesting its proofed for 1&1/4 oz but has 2&1/2 " chamber  . I would assume there is a date stamp somewhere.

On 08/01/2019 at 20:27, Old Boggy said:

The book list GP gun Nos.2765-3659 as made by Webley in 1926. So if that is correct, your gun is 92 years old !!

If you could post some photos of the proof marks, then perhaps this could be corroborated. 

OB

Webley did not make any GP guns as far as I know  till they took over Greener in the 60's  , so the date of 1926 ? 

Greener did buy back GP guns made for the military / police and "convert" them to civilian use , this could have included new barrels to replace short "13 bore"barrels . I point this out as a possibility that could explain any conflicting dates and proof marks .

Edited by Gunman

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Pre 1954 rules of proof . Interesting its proofed for 1&1/4 oz but has 2&1/2 " chamber  . I would assume there is a date stamp somewhere.

Webley did not make any GP guns as far as I know  till they took over Greener in the 60's  , so the date of 1926 ? 

Greener did buy back GP guns made for the military / police and "convert" them to civilian use , this could have included new barrels to replace short "13 bore"barrels . I point this out as a possibility that could explain any conflicting dates and proof marks .

I stand corrected on that Gunman. 

Your knowledge is from personal experience in the trade and to be highly respected.

Thank you for the correction to my post.

OB

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Andy1234 said:

Hi there was going someone could help me out here recently bought my own gp the serial number reads 34477, anyone know what kind of date I’m looking at with mine?? 

Andy

The book says 31730-35559 is 1957