Makita 4" belt sander

PIL1

I chucked my belt sander,use 4" sanding disc on angle grinder for a lot of jobs, orbital sander launches discs like a frizbe,best one I have and use the most is one that was given to me and its a pro detail sander and its the cheapest make I own,the rest just sit on the shelves as I always go to this one ?

On 08/01/2019 at 11:36, moondoggy said:

Bosch also do one, the Bosch GEX-150 Turbo, which is a fair bit cheaper, but still good quality.

This is the one I have, hooks up to the vacuum nicely so no mess. It has a switch for 2 rates of material removal.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:36, moondoggy said:

I went for a Festool Rotex in 150mm flavour.

These have the best of both worlds because you can switch between random orbital and rotary sanding modes.

The rotary gives you your high material removal rate (comparable to a belt sander) and the RO gives you your fine finishing.

The are not cheap, but the quality is second to none and you are effectively getting two tools in one.

Bosch also do one, the Bosch GEX-150 Turbo, which is a fair bit cheaper, but still good quality.

Another benefit with the Festool (can’t comment on the Bosch) is, if you hook it up to dust extraction, you get virtually zero dust, so great for indoor work.

that bosch is the same as the metabo version, which I believe is made by mafell, I bought a metabo after my festool blew up for the third and final time, I liked the fez but for a machine designed to make a lot of dust it seems strange that it was so adversely affected by it.

in my opinion the belt sander was never designed as a finishing sander, but an excellent tool for levelling timber ready for a final sanding with something like a random orbital sander. something the metabo /bosch has is the ability to change the size of the orbit from large orbits to small for finer work makes the machine far more useful.