Food Business

Tilly400

Yes 

1. If you shoot wild game only for your own private consumption or to give away to family and friends for private consumption on an occasional basis. You are not a food business operator, so the EU Food Hygiene Regulations and this guidance do not apply. 

2. If you are a hunter, estate or shoot that supplies all of your in-fur/infeather wild game carcases directly to the final consumer or to local retailers that directly supply the final consumer and not to Approved Game Handling Establishments (AGHEs). You are not subject to the requirements of the EU Food Hygiene Regulations. However, you are responsible for supplying safe food under The Food Safety Act 1990 and Regulation 178/2002.

3. If as a hunter, you shoot alone, as part of a shooting party or arrange shoots with/for others and supply infur/in-feather game to an AGHE. You are required to register as a food business with your Local Authority and comply with the general hygiene requirements for primary producers. This includes any vehicle you use when supplying an AGHE and your game larder, if you use it to store game before it goes to an AGHE as well as the specific provisions of Regulation 853/2004 that apply to the initial handling of wild game intended for subsequent supply to an AGHE.

Cheers for that, thought it was the case. Thanks for the clarification, 

Another paper exercise!

So anything in fur or feather sold to the game dealer will also need to be inspected by someone with dmq1 or equivalent and be registered as a food business.    Just great init .....

• 2 weeks later...

I registered with the council under the crazy idea I’d shoot enough deer to sell some to the pub dad was running at the time. The EU legislation is particularly badly written. For example you have to be a trained hunter. No mention of what training or what constitutes a trained hunter. There was loads of other daft things in the legislation that when I had my first meeting with the man from the council, he had to go away and read it again because it didn’t make much sense. I did my food hygiene level 2 because I’d be handling and processing butchered meat. He was happy with using the garage for skinning and the house kitchen with an oil cloth on the table for butchery. It’s not difficult to get sorted and the bloke I dealt with was very helpful. As it is I never shoot enough to want to share it!