WHICH SHOTGUN POWDER?

Help required with powder primer choice for loading shotgun cartridges. I’ve loaded rifle ammo for a long while but centre fire seems more common, it’s a different animal to shotgun reloading. Looks like plenty of choice re powders, so which one do I choose? Are they all really that available? Which primers for reloading old factory carcasses? I’m starting with #7 lead shot 28 gr on clays initially. Many thanks 

28 gram lead shot then you need a powder like CSB5 or Vectan AS. I load 1000's of these a year and use this recipe

70mm case, Fiocchi 615 primer, 23 grains CSB5, 4mm over powder card, 21mm fibre wad and 28 grams of shot. 6 point crimp closure. It will do everything you want it to do

Guest cookoff013
1 hour ago, Mark Ashdown said:

Help required with powder primer choice for loading shotgun cartridges. I’ve loaded rifle ammo for a long while but centre fire seems more common, it’s a different animal to shotgun reloading. Looks like plenty of choice re powders, so which one do I choose? Are they all really that available? Which primers for reloading old factory carcasses? I’m starting with #7 lead shot 28 gr on clays initially. Many thanks 

you`ve not mentioned what gauge? diss assumes 12, his comment is good for 12gauge

1 hour ago, cookoff013 said:

you`ve not mentioned what gauge? diss assumes 12, his comment is good for 12gauge

yes sorry i did assume 12 gauge. i didn't think you would want to load 28 grams in a smaller gauge. Its not just good, it's bloody awesome

1 minute ago, figgy said:

If you look at the powders available from clay game and fes Kent, you can go on the powder manufacturers websites they have list of loads and what powders are used. You can make your choice based on components and powders you can easily get.

This is why i use CSB 5, all my components come from FES except shot, I make that

Edited by Diss4111

He doesn't say. I have a deal with my local RFD, he buys from Clay Game but I get my powder of him for the same price as FES. I buy my primers from him too as he is a pound or so dearer but it saves the postage. There are several people near me who reload so he gets a fair bit of business.

So actually thinking about it I only buy wads from FES