Will I get a sgc

Jacko3275

I have been clay shooting with friend a few time recently and love it so I have just posted my application

The thing is back in 2002 I left my missus for another woman this is what the **** hit the fan a male friend of my ex called my new girl a slag and a home wrecker and slapped her so I did what most people would do and knocked 10 bails out of him this ended up with  me getting done for ABH and 100hours community service... Then to follow the csa started taking half my wage so I chucked on the sick with depression to try and get rid of the csa (bad advice)since then I have had to sp30 fines

What my chances of getting an sgc 

Thanks in advance

Edited by Jacko3275

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ABH is always a bad one when it comes to firearms, depending on the circumstances/level of injury ect, couple that with any history of mental instability, add in an attitude of anything other than total remorse, which Im sorry to say is not apparent with you, and you have to ask yourself, would YOU issue a shotgun certificate to you ?
If and when you get an FEO interview (I doubt it TBH) they will ask you pertinent questions about the assault, and anything approaching 'he deserved it' will not go well for you.
Its hard to judge someone from a few paragraphs, you may well be a decent person, but what you have put into words so far , doesnt bode well for your successful application.

55 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

...so I did what most people would do and knocked 10 bails out of him...

I'm not convinced most people would take this course of action. You have a conviction for violence, albeit spent, but if the police reckon you would have shot the bloke given the chance, your likelihood of gaining a SGC is slim at best. Combined with depression this makes it even less likely. The SP30 shouldn't really be an issue. However, as others have said, be honest and polite - this will give you the best opportunity. You might have to settle shooting with your mate assuming you're not a prohibited person (5 years after a suspended sentence). Good luck!

8 minutes ago, spandit said:

You have a conviction for violence, albeit spent,

Nothing is spent when it comes to firearms application.
Speaking to FEO s , one of the most common things when it comes to refusing applications is people believing (wrongly) that they dont need to divulge historical crimes that they believe to be spent.
One person at a club I go to , had his first app refused last year, due to the fact he didnt mention the fact he shot a policeman with an air rifle when he was a teenager, despite prompting from the FEO, he didnt believe the 45 year old incident was relevant !
He was wrong.

I don't think everyone would have resorted to violence in that situation however angry it made you feel at the time. On that basis, it will probably be a no but you'll never know if you don't ask. Might be worth giving your local FEO a quick call to discuss your situation, they're usually more helpful than some would lead you to believe.

13 minutes ago, MartynGT4 said:

I don't think everyone would have resorted to violence in that situation however angry it made you feel at the time. On that basis, it will probably be a no but you'll never know if you don't ask. Might be worth giving your local FEO a quick call to discuss your situation, they're usually more helpful than some would lead you to believe.

His apps gone out, so its probably a bit late, though I suppose no harm in trying.
The problem with FEOs is the actual decision of whether to grant or not is not down to them, they are just information gatherers, who can express an opinion.
The FLM rubber stamps it..or not, and will not consider anything until the investigation is concluded.

33 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Personally I wouldn't trust you with a catapult - if someone at the clay ground calls your other half a tart are you going to going to give him a slap? 

He actually hit her dont know about you but I was brought up never to lay a hand on a woman 

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Personally I wouldn't trust you with a catapult - if someone at the clay ground calls your other half a tart are you going to going to give him a slap? 

What sort of man are you sticks and stones yes but hitting your lady no no no and there is at least 70 percent on here that would do the same all be it they wont admit to it 

3 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

What sort of man are you sticks and stones yes but hitting your lady no no no and there is at least 70 percent on here that would do the same all be it they wont admit to it 

The choices you make regards retaliation are a matter entirely up to you.

Those choices often end up with consequences, as in the OP , he was convicted of ABH.

Years later those consequence follow you, and those choices you made, make others make choices about you.

1 minute ago, Rim Fire said:

i was done with ABH many yrs ago i declare it every time on renewal  it was 40 plus yrs ago admittedly but to say you wouldn't trust him with a catapult Jesus  

Its just his opinion.

At the end of the day, he could be a nice guy who lost his rag and swiped out 15 years ago, but that doesnt mean hes going to get an SGC.
The FLM will weigh up the risks, and quite likely note his loss of control, and I know what youve said about 'anyone would have done the same' but thats not the point, not anyone is trusted with possession of firearms.
You know as well as I do, any hint of argumentative or violent conduct, rightly or wrongly, even in self defence, tends to remove the possession of those firearms very quickly.
So like I said, you make your choices, defend your womans honour with your fists if you must, but dont think for one moment youll be keeping your guns if the police get to hear about it.

Just now, Rim Fire said:

But surely a time factor will come into play if he has no prior convictions or been in any trouble since i know of people with both FAC and SG tickets if you hit there misses you wont be doing much shooting for some time but i take your point  

It does yes, and thats his only hope, whether he can convince them he is a reformed character.

Myself and plenty of others on here have something of a chequered past 😲 and having a record doesnt immediately make you a non starter.
But put yourself in the position of an FLM granting a ticket to someone with a violence conviction, who then goes on to use that firearm to kill or injure someone (maybe someone who insulted or even struck their wife/partner) not only has the judgement of that FLM get put under question, but the media storm and resultant scrutiny of all firearms holders and the way the police grant tickets will be under threat.
Is it worth the risk ?
Thats why I said to the OP , would you give yourself an SGC ?