oxtail

ditchman

Havnt had oxtail stew for an age..............

so saturday im going to get leeks and carrots and red wine and oxtail....fry it off in the frying pan then into the slow cooker for 6-7 hours...then thicken the gravy off at the end........

serve with mash and cabbage........

comfort food

do you have oxtail..............?

11 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

Can't beat it I like to make a simple ragu sauce with it & serve it with fresh pasta any left overs get made into either a Bolognese or a lasagne 

yeah i have heard of it being eaten with pasta...........bolognese sound nice........

Do it often, take off any lumps of fat then brown, fry onions and carrots, add a little plain flour, then brown ale, season , add the sauce to the oxtail pieces, slow cook until meat falls off the bone, encase the meat and sauce in some shortcrust pastry, resulting oxtail pie is a fine meal with roast spuds and vegetables.. and cheap  

On 08/01/2019 at 13:23, ditchman said:

Havnt had oxtail stew for an age..............

so saturday im going to get leeks and carrots and red wine and oxtail....fry it off in the frying pan then into the slow cooker for 6-7 hours...then thicken the gravy off at the end........

serve with mash and cabbage........

comfort food

do you have oxtail..............?

ditchman I've just read this post and my mouth is watering sound fantastic will definitely have a go at making it :good:

When I was wooing Lady Seagrave, I spent an entire weekend (so it seemed) double-cooking oxtail for a pie. What compounded things was trying (for the first time) to make puff pastry from scratch, whilst, at the same time keeping my housemates at bay and trying to play the sophisticated urban male for the benefit of Lady S!

I recall we eventually started eating at about 10pm :lol:

LS

PS: pie was delicious - I slow-cooked the oxtail and mirepoix in red wine the day before then left it to cool. I shedded the meat and marrow into the gravy, and added a load of pan-fried kidneys before making the pie. Perfect combo of great big pieces of just-done kidney, in a magnificently rich meat sauce. Exquisite. And the whole thing cost me next to nothing (from Ridley Road market)

Lady S is a lucky gal. I trust that having then taught her how to cook you have never looked back. Taught my wife to cook and now leave her to it as one of the “pink” jobs I don’t need to do any longer. 😁

Seriously, problem now a lot of the younger generation don’t know how to cook unless it is microwaved, wouldn’t have a clue what to do with oxtail or lamb best end of neck. Good cheap cuts wasted.

9 hours ago, yod dropper said:

They sell it in Roys and you can get pigeon and mallard and other stuff. If it's from Blake's it will be superb as their beef is truly some of the best I've ever eaten, next time I'm over there...

got this from Carters of acle...........not sure who their supplier is............the guy who owns it is a hunting shootin an fishin man.....always has fresh game in the window.........

well.....im on the next step..........fried the meat off...red wine...handful of sugar....pleanty fresh black pepper...cup ful of vedge stockpot..sweated onions off chucked the bloody lot in the slow cooker..on high for 5-6 hrs...then i will take the meat off the bone and add the leeks.......just got to nip down to acle to get some carrots....celery...and leeks and tats...will put the carrots and celery in when i get back and the put the leeks in on the last 2 hours...........

oxtail 001tn_.JPG

oxtail 002tn_.JPG

oxtail 003tn_.JPG

oxtail 004tn_.JPG

oxtail 005tn_.JPG

oxtail 006tn_.JPG

oxtail 007tn_.JPG

oxtail 008tn_.JPG

oxtail 009tn_.JPG

oxtail 010tn_.JPG

1 minute ago, amateur said:

I see that you found a use for the Isla Negra.

I hope that the fusty taste doesn't spoil the stew for you

:lol:..........no that will cook out ..and with the sugar and the black pepper...and later after i have tasted it i might put some apple sauce in...............should be fine.........

i will let you know this evening.................................:hmm:Hmmm.......you were very quick to rekonise the bottle.....you got a spa shop near you my dear ?

No. I can't remember where I have bought it from in the past.

Morrisons, Lidl or Aldi, perhaps, but certainly not Spa.

I'm surprised that you were adding to your sugar load, though.

I find that a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and a squeeze of tomato puree rounds out any slightly off flavours

Edited by amateur