oxtail

ditchman

58 minutes ago, amateur said:

No. I can't remember where I have bought it from in the past.

Morrisons, Lidl or Aldi, perhaps, but certainly not Spa.

I'm surprised that you were adding to your sugar load, though.

I find that a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and a squeeze of tomato puree rounds out any slightly off flavours

i wont put any tomatoe in as i find it a very pervasive flavour....what i will do another time is to make a bolengnase sauce with oxtail...

not worried about my sugar load now as i have the diabetes right under control..........i have cut out all sweets ...cakes...orange juice...anything with added sugar...i also never add salt to food..(cept chips)....i never touch sherry or white wine now......

have retasted the Isla Negra just now and surprisingly it is drinkable now.....which is often the case.........

got the vedge in now...saw some shallots so bought them as well and put some in..........i will let this bubble away for another 5 hours then chuck the leeks in and remove the meat from the bone and thicken with cornflour if necessary.............

ox 2 001tn_.JPG

put the leeks in ...only used the white part...thickened it up with some warm water and cornflour.......had a taste....................lovely jubbly ...nice and smooth very full taste ...

this version has 

1. no salt
  2. no beef stock (oxo stuff)
  3. no other ingrdients 'cept fresh herbs...leeks..shallots..onions..nice sweet carrots and some sugar and red wine..

so i will leave it now...and in an hour i will take it off the bone...maybe thicken a little more and do some rought smashed spuds with english butter....

nice old style norfolk country comfort food for a cold drizzly day.........

oxtail 3 001tn_.JPG

nearly there...the meat just dropped off the bone ...chucked it back in the pot and put the tatties on.............

desperaye to finish this thread as i dont want it to go on as long as the "engine rebuild thread".....mindful of JDogs ticking off.............

i have skimmed at least a cupful of fat off the top....some folk like to cut the fat off before frying off...i leave it there as it is part of the taste...then take it off once it has done its job....

oxetail 4 001tn_.JPG

oxetail 4 002tn_.JPG

oxetail 4 003tn_.JPG

so thats that !............i have had 2 plates of that and eat it wiv a spoon.......really cheap cut of meat and the slow cooker was from a car boot sale for a fiver...

no salt addertives chemicals..................

it was georgeous..............

that would be excellent for a shoot lunch and a hunk of crusty bread

THE END

oxetail 5 001tn_.JPG

22 hours ago, ditchman said:

so thats that !............i have had 2 plates of that and eat it wiv a spoon.......really cheap cut of meat and the slow cooker was from a car boot sale for a fiver...

no salt addertives chemicals..................

it was georgeous..............

that would be excellent for a shoot lunch and a hunk of crusty bread

THE END

oxetail 5 001tn_.JPG

Bootiful ditchy ! Home cooking at it's best.     

• 3 weeks later...

Good hearty,wholesome food that. Oxtail is very similar in taste to lamb shank in my opinion.

We were reared on lamb shanks long before they became trendy with the Chefs and the price went up due to demand.I recall our local butcher throwing 5 or 6 shanks into a bag for my father for very little money and mum would make a simple but delicious family recipe that all loved.

A few years back when I used to go to the inlaws religiously every Sunday (City Folk) we were presented with a dish that no one was familiar with! Most turned their noses up at it and  it was a guessing match as to what it was. Apparently himself had watched a cooking programme that used it and he ordered it especially from the butcher. No one touched it when they heard what it was apart from myself who took great delight in gnawing at the bone using my hands much to the disgust from my sister inlaw as i seen her looking down her nose at me from the corner of my eye. Beautiful it was and I would take them cuts cooked long and slow over a steak anyday.

1 hour ago, PPP said:

Thank you, a dish from childhood that I’d forgotten about.  Will give it a go next week for the Saturdays roost shooting lunch.

Also enjoy ox cheek, don’t see that too much anymore !

oooooh...........i will have a go at that,,,,,,,,,,,:good:

I normally stick it in the slow cooker with some beef stock, cook all day.

Cool overnight and scoop the hardened fat off.

Add veg and cook for another 5-6 hours, adding dumplings at the right time take bones out and serve with mash

:shaun:

Aso served with new potatoes and Yorkshire pud

62C82F76-BDB9-4355-8D9A-0FF71C1D628F.jpeg

oooohhh yes please................:yes:......got some lamb shanks in the freezer...will have a go in the slow cooker with load of vedge and mash  for sunday ...instead of a roast chick........

soooo miss my dumplings and yorkshire pud..........will have to get some gluten free flour...........

• 3 years later...