Do you shoot with both eyes open or close one eye

Salopian

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was taught 'both eyes open', this allows you to gauge speed and distance far more easily , as with a shotgun you are not 'sighting' the target like you do with a rifle, however as my eyesight is getting a bit weaker with old age I found adding a fibre optic sight to the business end of the barrel gives me a clearer reference point for lead etc, but yes definitely both eyes open!

Edited by lakeside1000

37 minutes ago, supatex said:

I'm right handed but left eye dominant so I find I have to close my left eye. Wish I could shoot with both eyes open but it just doesn't seem to work for me

My oldest son has the same ,he has to shoot looking over the barrel with one eye closed, he tried shooting left handed for a while but it didn't work for him , as long as you hit the target more than you miss then its right for you.

Depends,

Shotgun i shoot both eyes open. I have fairly central vision with a slight master in the right. With a scoped rifle i closed my left and with an iron sighted target rifle I keep both open but have a blinder patch in front of my left eye.

Your eyes only truly work as a pair and judging speed and distance is harder with one closed

Right handed . Right eye slightly more dominant

I shoot field target archery ... both eyes open for that  (only problem is you see 2 sight apertures and if you line the wrong one up having  a temporary blip ...the metal detector comes out 😂😂

I tend to close / squint left eye with shotgun but trying to get out of it . But finding it very hard to focus on the bead quickly with both open...

Scoped rifle I can leave both open but if I then focus on something with my left eye ,it’s then impossible for me to look back down the scope without closing my left 

its a absolute fact that every Olympic recurve archer shoots with both eyes open ! There is a video on YouTube showing this so I’m sure as humans we need both ideally 

At the end of the day we were given 2 eyes on the front of your head to judge time , distance and for short / long vision it does make absolute sense to use them both but maybe not for looking down a scope ? 

thats my 10p worth anyway ., I’m sure it doesn’t help 1 bit 😂😂😂👍🐿

SS

Edited by secret-squirrel

Always have shot both eyes open, shotgun, rifle, handgun.  Close one and 180d of your vision vanishes. 

How do you shoot a rifle or handgun around a barrier only using one eye....you have to expose all your body  hmmmm!!   So you should learn to shoot ambidextrous as well.

That's either hand or either shoulder.   Then it gets complicated.

Edited by Walker570

Looking at the above posts ,I must be the odd one out as I shoot with my left eye shut , always have done and will continue to do so until until my days out with a gun comes to a close , we who haven't have had any professional coaching tend to develop our own way of shotgun shooting , if it work then all well and good , if it doesn't then its back to the drawing board ,  

I am not saying practise will make you 100% perfect , but like most sports you will need a lot of practise weather you close one eye or both eyes are left open , although I have stood behind several people who I think shut both eyes and hope for the best . 

If you hit the clays with one eye open then that's the way you should shoot. 

If you hit the clays with both eyes open that's the way you should shoot. 

If you listen to all the people that know it all, they will tell you their way is best. 

But you will need both eyes open to judge distance and speed. 

32 minutes ago, Dougy said:

If you hit the clays with one eye open then that's the way you should shoot. 

If you hit the clays with both eyes open that's the way you should shoot. 

If you listen to all the people that know it all, they will tell you their way is best. 

But you will need both eyes open to judge distance and speed. 

David Carrie does quite well with one eye ... he doesn't get the choice!!

I managed to move to both open a couple of years ago after starting life with a left master eye .... 

6 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

Having two eyes is more about inbuilt redundancy - lose an eye and you can still see - than depth perception.

Nature doesn't work like that, and this has played no part in evolution.

Organisms that hunt have 2 front facing eyes to judge depth and striking distance ... e.g falcon

Organisms that are likely to be eaten have eyes on each side of the head to provide 360 vision and warning against predators.

Youngsters under the age of puberty may learn to shoot using their strong eye , but on reaching puberty their eyes can change dominance . What then ?

Many Ladies are left eye dominant and right handed but cannot wink or close their left eye , what should they do?

Soldiers , many are left handed or left eye dominant , but have to shoot a SA80 right handed , how do they cope?

7 hours ago, Diss4111 said:

Depends,

Shotgun i shoot both eyes open. I have fairly central vision with a slight master in the right. With a scoped rifle i closed my left and with an iron sighted target rifle I keep both open but have a blinder patch in front of my left eye.

Exactly what he said ^