Best of the shelf decoys?

GSP84

I was thinking about getting some new decoys.

I must have about 40 of the traditional plastic shell decoys and they are battered, lacking paint, some of them shot.

They have always worked ok, I have had plenty of 100+ bags over the harvest. Less consistent in winter and I’d like to please the farmers more at this time of year.

I tried the FUD fold up things which I didn’t rate.

Are any of these expensive new ones on the market really worth the pennies, like the enforcers?

thanks

Hi, I cannot comment on new decoys but just to say, I was in the same position with lots of old shells in a poor state, I purchased a few Sillosock covers to try out and found them really good, they fit over the shells and still allow you to stack the decoys so saving space, I now have 36 with these covers, which can be removed and put in the washing machine when the get a bit mucky, they are now about 3 years old and used twice a week but still work very well, worth a consideration anyway, they work out about 2.50 each but cheaper than replacing all the decoys.

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

The best off the shelf are the expensive old ones - is it ever thus! - Flexicoy. You only need to buy once and they can carry more shot than Gamebore.

I go along with your choice , like me, mine are getting on a bit now , each year just before Spring they get there Spring clean and have the White markings touched up with a drop of White undercoat , I have got no reason to change them for the simple fact I haven't seen any decoys to beat them .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I go along with your choice , like me, mine are getting on a bit now , each year just before Spring they get there Spring clean and have the White markings touched up with a drop of White undercoat , I have got no reason to change them for the simple fact I haven't seen any decoys to beat them .

Yep, best isn't just about performance, but includes longevity and value for money. I would imagine that the one downside - weight - is now pretty much negated as we seem to .carry everything in a 4 by 4.

In the summer, mate and i set up in the middle of a field with bails and put out 4 patterns around us with shells in 1 group .fullbodies on sticks , silosocks and dead birds on cradels on others .

We thought that most the birds would come to the dead birds. But the silo socks and shells proves to be best ???

But in reality those 2 patterns were nearest the direction the birds came from so just dropped in there first. 

We concluded that you basically need a pigeon shapped blob on the floor .and the best decoy is one in the right field and the right time. 

On 08/01/2019 at 15:09, wymberley said:

The best off the shelf are the expensive old ones - is it ever thus! - Flexicoy. You only need to buy once and they can carry more shot than Gamebore.

Even better, the old HH? IMO, yes.

16 hours ago, motty said:

Sold mine. They go purple after a decent amount of time in the sun.

Likewise.