Jump to content

    Recommended Posts

    Evening all,

    I had my heart set on a disco 3 before reading up on the issues...

    Quite fancy a xc90....

     

    What are the PW massive thoughts. 

     

    Budget is 10k. 

     

    Thanks in advance. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I bought a mk1 xc90 4 months ago 2.4td auto (semi) .

    First ever experience with volvo but up to now its probably the nicest 4x4 I've owned .

    I know its not in the disco league but having owned ;

    Disco 300tdi

    Toyota hilux surf

    Jeep grand Cherokee

    Shogun

    Xtrail

    It suits my off road needs very well (not serious green laning or mud plugging ) and is very comfortable on road .

    So if I had your budget and depending on what you need it to do I would certainly give the xc90 a serious thought

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    12 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

    I bought a mk1 xc90 4 months ago 2.4td auto (semi) .

    First ever experience with volvo but up to now its probably the nicest 4x4 I've owned .

    I know its not in the disco league but having owned ;

    Disco 300tdi

    Toyota hilux surf

    Jeep grand Cherokee

    Shogun

    Xtrail

    It suits my off road needs very well (not serious green laning or mud plugging ) and is very comfortable on road .

    So if I had your budget and depending on what you need it to do I would certainly give the xc90 a serious thought

    Thank you - what year is yours?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    45 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

    Thank you - what year is yours?

    Its getting on a bit its a 2005 but with full dealers service history ...... if you look on youtube there's some videos on there of the xc90 doing well off road . I bought from down Sheffield and on the run home I set the cruise control to 70 mph and it returned 48.6 mpg which doing the calculation on how much it cost in fuel is not that far away from being correct

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Interestingly I had a Discovery 3 (57 plate) and was bitten badly, I've now just bought an XC90, it's a 59 plate, it has 70k on the clock and was 11.5k, only had it a week, but dead impressed with it, it's super comfy, and the wife likes it more than the Disco! 

    Yes, it's a little smaller (Boot wise) and of course, doesn't have the off-road ability, but it feels much nicer to drive, and probably suits us just as well.  We have 3 kids under 5, and it fits 3 car seats side by side, with ease.  

    I think the fuel economy is a little better than the Disco, and of course, the road tax is £200 a year cheaper.  I'm led to believe that they are a far more reliable car than the Disco's, I have my fingers crossed!

    All in all, pleased I made the switch.

    Good luck!

    Hayden

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    56 minutes ago, Hayden said:

    Interestingly I had a Discovery 3 (57 plate) and was bitten badly, I've now just bought an XC90, it's a 59 plate, it has 70k on the clock and was 11.5k, only had it a week, but dead impressed with it, it's super comfy, and the wife likes it more than the Disco! 

    Yes, it's a little smaller (Boot wise) and of course, doesn't have the off-road ability, but it feels much nicer to drive, and probably suits us just as well.  We have 3 kids under 5, and it fits 3 car seats side by side, with ease.  

    I think the fuel economy is a little better than the Disco, and of course, the road tax is £200 a year cheaper.  I'm led to believe that they are a far more reliable car than the Disco's, I have my fingers crossed!

    All in all, pleased I made the switch.

    Good luck!

    Hayden

     

     

    Thanks Hayden. 

     

    Currently looking for a Volvo XC90 same age and mileage as yours. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I have ran a XC90 MK1 d5 for over a year and a half. 

    Very comfy car not bad off road in fields and tracks. Seats are some of the comfiest for long journeys. 

    Mpg is nowhere near 48mpg. Most I've had on a long run from teesside to Surry was 44. Something and that was a one off due being stuck in them variable speed limits. My average speed was fifty mph. Normal runs to Surry and back were 37 down and 39 from Surry to teesside. Don't know why it was 2mpg different but it was everytime and with cruise control on.

    Around town and the odd ten mile motorway stint I'm averaging 29mpg I don't drive hard either as they to keep around 2000 revs for gears to change up.

     

    Edited by figgy

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 23:45, figgy said:

    Normal runs to Surry and back were 37 down and 39 from Surry to teesside. Don't know why it was 2mpg different but it was everytime and with cruise control on.

    Backwind on the way back :lol:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Smokersmith puzzled me everytime I made the journey. Oy thing I can put it down to is I traveled back to Surrey early hours of the morning not stopping. Other way was traffic and must have been slightly slower speeds.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    29 minutes ago, figgy said:

    Smokersmith puzzled me everytime I made the journey. Oy thing I can put it down to is I traveled back to Surrey early hours of the morning not stopping. Other way was traffic and must have been slightly slower speeds.

    Its up hill to Teeside

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    56 minutes ago, figgy said:

    Island gun you think so but that's when I got better mpg.

    good point, i failed to read the post properly....again !  perhaps your car was trying to tell you something..:ninja:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    An uncle has one, he seems to like it. Apparently it goes like stink but does drink a lot (he reckons high teens for mpg).

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×