Drones over Heathrow

krugerandsmith

The whole thing, from Gatwick to Heathrow is a farce, any bets on this being reported at every airfield in the country in the next few months? What about military airfields and airshows?

Can you imagine the chaos of a so called drone at Fairford on opening day?

I know there are risks but I don't think flights should be cancelled unless there is positive proof of a drone threat, a decent camera system would provide that surely?

Pathetic and even if it wasn't how is extending the legal no fly zone going to prevent illegal use, our whole Parliament  is totally unfit for purpose in every single area other than milking us dry.  All they are consistent in doing is displaying their total ineptitude in all things and constant betrayal to the indigenous population.

Edited by JRDS

The worst thing about it is in the old days if terrorists or nutters wanted to close airports or stations, they would phone through a bomb hoax. If they were caught the penalty was severe. Now anyone can achieve the same effect by saying they saw a drone and no-one can prove they didn't. Expect a lot of hoax calls. 

14 hours ago, timmytree said:

The whole thing, from Gatwick to Heathrow is a farce, any bets on this being reported at every airfield in the country in the next few months? What about military airfields and airshows?

Can you imagine the chaos of a so called drone at Fairford on opening day?

I know there are risks but I don't think flights should be cancelled unless there is positive proof of a drone threat, a decent camera system would provide that surely?

i can't see a military airfield putting up with a drone or two for longer than a few minutes.

55 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

i can't see a military airfield putting up with a drone or two for longer than a few minutes.

Neither can I, yes of course the consequences of one getting sucked into the engine of a passenger plane can be catastrophic but when you see the vastness of even the take off area alone you begin to understand the sheer implausibility of the statistical possibility of this actually happening, furthermore these planes and most certainly military ones have re-enforced screens, there is just next to no likelihood that a drone can penetrate or cause these to suffer much beyond a fracture. 

All that aside one would hope they'd have the means of slapping it out of the sky with either bullets or some sort of radar jamming pulse.