Tikka T3X TAC

deputy dog

Alright fellas

I’m in the market for a new set up. I’ve been looking at different rifles in .243 caliber

i narrowed it down to two, which is Mauser M12 Impact or Sako Finnlight. 

But I since been looking at the Tikka T3X TAC rifle and quite like the looks of it ( Always wanted something Tactical looking) 

but I see they don’t make them in .243 caliber. Just .223, 260, 308, 6.5 and so on.

can anyone enlighten me if they will be bring out a Tikka Tac rifle in .243 in near future.

And if anyone already has one, may be give me any feed back on them. 

Cheers

Gareth

Mate has a T3 Tactical in .223. It’s a very nice rifle and looks the part, although it’s a heavy rifle if you had long stalks in mind. I don’t mind heavy rifles a s I have a good sling, but it’s worth mentioning. It is also supplied with a muzzle brake, which is mightily loud and impressively dusty on recoil in dry conditions, but a pussycat with a mod’. Nice rifle. 

1 hour ago, fister said:

There is a good reason Tikka don't make the TAC, a range rifle, in 243, a Hunting calibre. Unless you go for a 7/8" twist, 243 is not a great target calibre ballistically and suffers lesser barrel life than the 5.6's and 30's of similar powder capacity. as for stalking, I would not want to drag a T3X tac anywhere as it is angular, metallic and not a handy gun for quick hunting shots. There are other guns out the. Both are great rifles, if used what they are intended to be used for (I'm not a fan of the bolt handle or short barrel in 243 on the "Impact", the "Extreme" is the better gun)

And yes, blah blah blah, I have shot all three extensively

Cheers both for your input. One naughty thing about choosing a new rifle is the extensive choice we’ve got. And when you ask about any given rifle, one mans poison it another mans elixir so to say. I’ve had a good butchers around the Mauser and Sako rifles and like them both, though one is significantly cheaper then the other. Though not overly bothered paying out a bit more, if one rifle will serve me better then the other. Mauser £1150, Sako around £1650 ish. 

I’m hoping to go to the Shooting Show in February so hopefully I’ll be able to get to grips with the Tikka Tac up there and see if it could be something I could use or not. If not then it’ll be out of the two mentioned above. Go for the Mauser and put the extra cash towards good glass. Or go Sako and buy a cheaper scope less desirable scope. Mmmm decisions decisions.

Gareth

Edited by deputy dog

I bought a Mauser m12 max with thumb hole stock in .243. It all works super smooth and quiet. The bolt glides and I wish the 3 position safety was on all of my rifles. It is a class act for the cash. 

I would swap for this in the picture though 🙂 

dpt chassis.jpg

Edited by oowee

2 hours ago, fister said:

I have no real affiliations to protect so I'm not promoting or dismissive of the rifle I personally paid for like most people. The Mauser M12 has a faster smoother bolt than the Sako, the magazines are about equal as both operate similarly from a twin staggered stack yet being Polymer, the Mauser is a bit quieter. Safety on the Mauser is better with a full three sposition lever operable in gloves rather than Sako fiddly buttons. I do Not like the 85 Semi Controlled feed bolt face, it's too prone to extraction failure. the Short Barrel Impact is a cheaper version of the extreme for a reason, it's cheaper and the supposedly tacticool long bolt handle makes the SUOPERB bolt pretty ordinary. I don't like short barrelled 243's, check the lkaws for muzzle energy where you will hunt :-;

Differences between the impact and the extreme? Apart from about £500.