Dug this up today, metal thing but what is it?

rovercoupe

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

looks like a knife that is wedged infront of a plough share ...horse drawn......the knife splits the turf/soil prior to being lifted and turned by the mouldboard..................

Having googled for pictures of horse drawn cultivator a pic did come up of a plough with a knife type thing that did look a bit like that. 

any thoughts on what type of metal it would be? 

2 hours ago, stumfelter said:

I'll second that and while not being an authority on the subject I'll hazard a guess it's from B&Q.

You might joke but the builders did bury a sprit level when they did the extension on the house and whilst digging I started to uncover this really posh level thinking I was onto a winner untill I got to the part where it was bent 45 degrees!

35 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Having googled for pictures of horse drawn cultivator a pic did come up of a plough with a knife type thing that did look a bit like that. 

any thoughts on what type of metal it would be? 

You might joke but the builders did bury a sprit level when they did the extension on the house and whilst digging I started to uncover this really posh level thinking I was onto a winner untill I got to the part where it was bent 45 degrees!

if im right it would be blacksmith made..........and would be a reasonable peice of steel for that purpose..........the only way to find out would be to put it in the forge and burn the rust off...heat it and re-work it....if it throws out sparks...(its slag) and needs to be hammered more until the slag is out ..just leaving the metal and some carbon....then quench it and see it it is hard with a file..............

my suspicions would be ..time you have got all the concretions and rust off...you wouldnt have enough metal to work with....if that is what you are thinking.....

31 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Yeah my first thought would be to make something out of it but I think your right and it might just be a big lump of rust! Will give it a clean tomorrow and see what's there.

if you have clean steel ...see what colour the sparks are.........if they are more reddish and darker...it might be good steel...if they are more bright and yellow...low grade steel....

its just a rough indication

34 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i trawled through some old horse drawn plough photos and some had a disc in front of the 2 shear model  but some had a tyne like the photo in front of a 1 shear, be nice if a PW member could post a pic

i found an excact match for that on the net..........but im not very good at cut and paste and save and size and reduce and post.......ugth !