Taxidermy

Lloyd90

Would that be a baby grow?

I was really interested in taxidermy when I was a boy. I collected/made a few bits for doing it, but never got round to doing it.

As is normal for me, I read up on it avidly, sent for catalogues from equipment suppliers, etc. I have still got one of my books. I had to specially order it, took ages to come. It’s a good little book, British, which is quite unusual. My other book was American. Wasn’t keen on that book, the Americans mainly used pre-formed mannequins to mount the skins on. My British book showed the traditional method using tow, string, wire, etc.

The catalogue I sent for was from Watkins and Doncaster (not too far from you). They are still on the go and still supply taxidermy equipment.

They also used to sell mounted specimens, from mice to polar bears and lions.

I bought a short eared owl from them.

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by moondoggy

Never done a 'grow' but have done a couple of foxes and a roe buck head. Made the form myself but you can buy them readily along with the kits.  Not too difficult but the test is making it look like what it should look like. I have seen muntjac set up on roe form and they look ridiculous.  A fox or even a rabbit is a good starting point, birds are far more difficult.

002.JPG

Bloody phone auto correct!!!!! 

I would like to have a go at a crow... 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Never done a 'grow' but have done a couple of foxes and a roe buck head. Made the form myself but you can buy them readily along with the kits.  Not too difficult but the test is making it look like what it should look like. I have seen muntjac set up on roe form and they look ridiculous.  A fox or even a rabbit is a good starting point, birds are far more difficult.

002.JPG

Birds are that hard eh? 

Perhaps a rabbit or squirrel would be a good start 🤔

I too looked into it as finding ready done is quite difficult now unless your Drew Pritchard and have access to rambling country mansions where the owners have gone skint.

The polystyrene "moulds" are a bit saucy on the price in my opinion for what they are. So I never pursued it any further.

Yep the forms are expensive but most are imports from the USA, so add 18% EU imprt tarrif onto the price as well as VAT. It is not difficult to make your own if you have a litle artistic ability and know what the animal should look like.  Use the skull as a basis for your measurements.   It takes whole load of patience.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have done a few my self i found magpie easy as no loose feathers also stoat and squirrel there easy to obtain off game keeper.   i started the the traditianal way with wood wool  but as that got unatainable beleave it or not i started using hay roll it up tight and that will hold your wires till your specimen skin dries

• 10 months later...

Getting started isn't actually that bad. I came into it through an unusual route as I caught a huge sea trout in the early 1990's which I wanted set up but couldn't afford the cost to be done professionally. I sought out the taxidermist at Glasgow Museum who showed me his workshop at the museum and gave me really good advice. He also suggested I join the Guild of taxidermists as an amateur member for different hints and tips.

Although I started working on fish, tried birds and trophy heads as well. Actually "stuffing" a bird is OK to do - getting it to look lifelike is where the real skill comes in and takes time and patience to master.

I'd recommend not starting with woodpigeon as the feathers are so easily pulled out and the skin is paper thin and difficult to skin without tearing. Crows and jackdaws are a much easier bird to start with.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

RIP,  Browning Bks and  Montgomery lines.

Gone but never forgotten 🙄

what about ash ranges ...thats still there surley ?...............i tell you what ...you can take the Basingstoke canal and shove it where the sun dont shine....number of times i got cut with ice swimming up and down it....full of filth and excrement .....

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what about ash ranges ...thats still there surley ?...............i tell you what ...you can take the Basingstoke canal and shove it where the sun dont shine....number of times i got cut with ice swimming up and down it....full of filth and excrement .....

As far as I know Ash ranges are still running, but last I heard was it was about to be declared a SPSI and no shooting allowed because someone found some kind of rare newt or frog.

They probably couldn't find any space in the canal so moved🙈😁