ATA Sporter

MarcMaxus

Hi Folks,

Happy New year to you all. 

I'm looking to add an under and over to my cabinet. I only have 2 semi autos currently as rough shooting is my thing, but want something a little more fitting for the clay ground.

I don't have a huge chunk to spend but for my budget the ATA SP seems a lot of gun for the money. Just wondering if anyone has one or used one and if so what your thoughts are? Would you get a new ATA Sporter, or perhaps something pre owned that cost say a grand when new, for the same money as the ATA?

Cheers 

Edited by MarcMaxus

3 hours ago, MarcMaxus said:

Hi Folks,

Happy New year to you all. 

I'm looking to add an under and over to my cabinet. I only have 2 semi autos currently as rough shooting is my thing, but want something a little more fitting for the clay ground.

I don't have a huge chunk to spend but for my budget the ATA SP seems a lot of gun for the money. Just wondering if anyone has one or used one and if so what your thoughts are? Would you get a new ATA Sporter, or perhaps something pre owned that cost say a grand when new, for the same money as the ATA?

Cheers 

I had one from new for about a year, it wasn't a bad gun by any stretch and i found for going and doing a 100 sporting it was fine, but out round the fields it got a bit heavy. 

It ended up going back to sportsman under warranty as it started double discharging and failing to eject. Finished up selling it and replacing with an S686 and haven't looked back. 

If I knew then what I new now I would have put the money into a decent second hand beretta. 

3 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I had one from new for about a year, it wasn't a bad gun by any stretch and i found for going and doing a 100 sporting it was fine, but out round the fields it got a bit heavy. 

It ended up going back to sportsman under warranty as it started double discharging and failing to eject. Finished up selling it and replacing with an S686 and haven't looked back. 

If I knew then what I new now I would have put the money into a decent second hand beretta. 

This. 

52 minutes ago, Fil said:

ATA's are fine for the money imo.. but if you have the funds go for a second hand Beretta...always.

1 hour ago, MarcMaxus said:

Cheers fellas. I think I will go for a pre owned Beretta based on that. There are a few about in the same price range.

I would say the biggest downside to buying one is that if you have an issue you will have to deal with sportsman, which if your interested in ive posted in another thread 'gun damage' in general shooting matters. 

Go for a used Beretta if that's the type of gun you like. First off they won't loose lots of money, parts are plentiful easy to get any local gunsmith can fix.

Secondly just how much money did the ATA cost to make,  less than 600 new and everyone from manufacturer through transporter importer and gun shop has to make money on the gun.

Know of two people with them one has already had the trigger group changed out after shooting very little through it.

Some of the wood on the ATA is stunning, if they're a straight swap to a Beretta could be with buying a used one just for the wood work alone.

13 minutes ago, figgy said:

Some of the wood on the ATA is stunning, if they're a straight swap to a Beretta could be with buying a used one just for the wood work alone.

On the one I tried the forend was really thin, the noise my wedding ring made on it put me off the gun.

Cheers fellas.

I have a Beretta Extrema already so may go for the matching Beretta over and under. I've got a Browning Maxus too so thinking of trading that in to bump up my budget and putting the cash toward a Silver Pigeon. 

As i mentioned rough shooting is my main interest. It's mainly for use on the clays as some grpunds locally are not keen on folk using semi autos and I've had a few funny looks. Also easier to display it as being safe while going from stand to stand and don't have to walk a marathon to pick up spent shells! 

6 minutes ago, figgy said:

I shoot a semi auto on clays a lot for last few months I could not give a rat's rear what others think. They can look all they want, enjoy shooting what you like, unless the ground states no autos.

Got to agree with this. I take my pump guns over anything else as I simply love shooting them.