Perkin knives

Redgum

Hi all, while looking for a new knife with some Christmas cash I stumbled on these guys, nice website with some lovely looking knives for not much money for example a handmade knife out of D2 steel with a buffalo horn handle for £60.  At first instance you could believe these knives are Made in UK (nice to see that still has some meaning :yes:), but they do state somewhere on the website the knives are not made in the UK, not obvious but there. Now I'm a man of suspicious nature and seeing a true Made in UK knife of reasonable design could cost you into the high hundreds did a bit of research on these guys, a couple of brothers with Pakistani nationality operating from the London area so its not hard to guess the set up. My house is adorned with pictures and carvings from around the world and don't believe something coming from an country of cheaper labour necessarily means absolutely trash quality, many lavish homes around the UK are skirted by acres of imported Indian sandstone, cheaper than concrete yet very hard wearing and well cut. Obviously you get what you pay for in regard to the knives but they do look very good and there seem to be quite a few happy customers around, anyone on here have any personal experience with them.

26 minutes ago, Redgum said:

Hi all, while looking for a new knife with some Christmas cash I stumbled on these guys, nice website with some lovely looking knives for not much money for example a handmade knife out of D2 steel with a buffalo horn handle for £60.  At first instance you could believe these knives are Made in UK (nice to see that still has some meaning ), but they do state somewhere on the website the knives are not made in the UK, not obvious but there. Now I'm a man of suspicious nature and seeing a true Made in UK knife of reasonable design could cost you into the high hundreds did a bit of research on these guys, a couple of brothers with Pakistani nationality operating from the London area so its not hard to guess the set up. My house is adorned with pictures and carvings from around the world and don't believe something coming from an country of cheaper labour necessarily means absolutely trash quality, many lavish homes around the UK are skirted by acres of imported Indian sandstone, cheaper than concrete yet very hard wearing and well cut. Obviously you get what you pay for in regard to the knives but they do look very good and there seem to be quite a few happy customers around, anyone on here have any personal experience with them.

Will have a look myself.

I agree on some of the quality from India is great quality. They have craftsmen who can make amazing things without the high tech tooling we have. Only got to look at the carving they do. 

27 minutes ago, winnie&bezza said:

Just looked, how they are that cheap I don’t know! They look good quality at least 4-5 times the price. Buy one Redgum and let us know as I’ve got my eye on a few 

Your not a perkin agent are you :ninja:  One reason for being so cheap will be labour rates in Pakistan just wondering whether the rest of the knife will be value for the money. I have an ornately carved chess set, absolutely stunning, all hand carved in Ubud, Bali, the most beautiful detail, inlaid with white and dark wood, must have taken ages to carve but cost me £30. The only downside ( only from a western perspective) was tin hinges made from bean cans but I don't play chess with the hinges.  Perkin do accept Paypal so there is some come back, should I take a punt and do a review ?

Edited by Redgum

57 minutes ago, Redgum said:

Your not a perkin agent are you :ninja:  One reason for being so cheap will be labour rates in Pakistan just wondering whether the rest of the knife will be value for the money. I have an ornately carved chess set, absolutely stunning, all hand carved in Ubud, Bali, the most beautiful detail, inlaid with white and dark wood, must have taken ages to carve but cost me £30. The only downside ( only from a western perspective) was tin hinges made from bean cans but I don't play chess with the hinges.  Perkin do accept Paypal so there is some come back, should I take a punt and do a review ?

Errrrrrrr 😉

I bet it is. Nice to see cultures still taking care in craft. 

Obviuolsy up to you but would be nice. I’m ready to pull the trigger on one of the smaller neck knives first.

I'd be interested to see if their D2 steel really is D2.

The way they can't string a sentence together in proper English and are reticent in saying where there stuff comes from would make me run a mile. 

Edited by walshie

1 hour ago, Redgum said:

You may not have noticed Walshie but there's a few about that don't speak the Queens English, met a girl in Bangkok once, she could only speak one  broken sentence of English but her service was excellent.:friends:

I think I met her or someone very like her. :lol:

1 hour ago, figgy said:

You can buy some great value hand made knives in the UK, I bought one from a forum member and it's a cracking knife that I take out during the season.

Emberleaf make some beautiful knives but as you stated prices are high.

Trouble is now the children have left home and the wife would  probably allow me to buy and Emberleaf I'm to darn forgetful to warrant owning one.:oops:

4 minutes ago, Redgum said:

Trouble is now the children have left home and the wife would  probably allow me to buy and Emberleaf I'm to darn forgetful to warrant owning one.

You and me both. I have a mate making some great knives now but I would loose it within days. Even the orange Mora knives get bought in bundles. 

2 hours ago, Dibble said:

Are you sure about D2 steel , I have an Enzo Camper that has more chips than Harry Ramsden

What do you use it for?  I may take a chance on a Perkin knife just for its looks, you can never be sure where any knife metal comes from, was thinking about getting a outdoor edge swingblade but apparently that's Chinese stainless ( if you believe the tinternet) and doesn't keep a good edge. I do have the outdoor edge razor pro which has disposable blades, haven't changed the blade yet as sharpens up real well, you just have to make sure you remove the blade and clean it well each time you grallock otherwise the disposable gets stuck with the blood. Does a fallow nicely and as a folder it goes on your belt tidy, just like a bigger fix blade for bleeding and doing pigs.

4 hours ago, figgy said:

You can buy some great value hand made knives in the UK, I bought one from a forum member and it's a cracking knife that I take out during the season.

Emberleaf make some beautiful knives but as you stated prices are high.

Bloody hell figgy, why did you have to introduce me to emberleaf 😩

I've put a secondary bevel on it now so it's a lot better but obviously not as sharp and harder to resharpen.

It's a 125mm blade camp knife some fairly rough use, some delicate on Scout camps, probably not the best steel for this indeed I've largely moved to a small Wetterlings hatchet and a Swiss Army Knife .

Winnie and bezza checkout the knives that a member was making. He made a display case of them to go in a shop. To me they look more useable than the Emberleaf offerings.

I bought the little Stickleback knife and it's a joy to carry and use.

Edited by figgy

Hi Redgum

A while back i was looking for a good quality knife and trolled all info on various steels etc

I ended up buying a Cudeman  Spain  bought direct from the company for less than your budget

Fantastic steel  ( not your stainless steel stuff ) full solid tang with hardwood handle and real leather high quality sheath

I can hold a sheet of paper in one hand mid air and cut strips off with this knife in my other hand That's how good an edge one can get on the blade

Worth looking them up

They're 1A Electric Parade in Seven Kings - Street view on Google would appear to show an absence of 1A - There's a 1 that's a Chartered Accountant and then a black door to the left that's got a brass B and C on it but no A.

If you pay via your credit card and it doesn't come, can you claim the money back from the credit card company?

20 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

They're 1A Electric Parade in Seven Kings - Street view on Google would appear to show an absence of 1A - There's a 1 that's a Chartered Accountant and then a black door to the left that's got a brass B and C on it but no A.

If you pay via your credit card and it doesn't come, can you claim the money back from the credit card company?

Limited Companies can use their Accountants as their registered address

7 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

They have facility for Paypal and they are pretty good at settling any dispute, eg not what it says on the packet etc, think I will take the plunge as the fixed blades seem to have good reviews but apparently the pocket knives suffer from poor mechanics. Plunge taken and will do a review on the knife.

On 10/01/2019 at 18:17, figgy said:

Winnie and bezza checkout the knives that a member was making. He made a display case of them to go in a shop. To me they look more useable than the Emberleaf offerings.

I bought the little Stickleback knife and it's a joy to carry and use.

Thanks for posting. I missed that thread the first time around. Order for two just placed.