Perkin knives

Redgum

On 10/01/2019 at 18:17, figgy said:

Winnie and bezza checkout the knives that a member was making. He made a display case of them to go in a shop. To me they look more useable than the Emberleaf offerings.

I bought the little Stickleback knife and it's a joy to carry and use.

Yeah I remember that now. Who was it again?

9 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

They're 1A Electric Parade in Seven Kings - Street view on Google would appear to show an absence of 1A - There's a 1 that's a Chartered Accountant and then a black door to the left that's got a brass B and C on it but no A.

If you pay via your credit card and it doesn't come, can you claim the money back from the credit card company?

That street  / area is well known as being an area where there is a high propensity for people and businesses to be less than straightforwards in their dealings. I am putting that as politely as I can.

Edited by Mungler

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Perkin knives, ordered a flat grind d2 steel hunting knife, communication was good as I had to change delivery  address as had to be signed for by an over 18 year old on arrival.

The knife was beautifully made with inlays on the handle, my own concern was the blade, it didn't have the taper I would expect from a flat grind and the secondary bevel was quite steep (mainly due to the thick blade), it also looked just to shiny ( if that makes sense) almost chrome like rather than steel. It wasn't overly sharp so was expecting a bit of work to get a good edge but surprisingly the edge became sharp quickly. This didn't really make any sense so I ran the blade lightly over a piece of pine, it dulled extremely quickly, this was not what I had expected. It did look nice but not a lot of good for me in the field.

Perkin had enclosed a slip to say to contact them with any problems and they offer a one year refund guarantee, I emailed them and they were prompt and courteous asking me what I wanted to do and I said I wanted to return it for a refund. I returned the knife and they promptly refunded my payment back to PayPal. £66 for a hand made knife is cheap so I guess or you get what you pay for, I don't know enough about metal to say if it was just a bad batch of metal or just had not been tempered correctly.

I think it would be fair to say that the knives are not hand made in the UK and they do mention this in their advert somewhere but their service is excellent and they stand by their product, would I use them again, well if I ever wanted a cheap Damascus blade then maybe, they do have many positive reviews.