For single men

ditchman

i .....in my present position..............have to do all the washing....(washing machine).........i bought a whirlpool off gumtree 4 years ago...and we live in a hard area for water.....so the machine has to work hard getting the water up to temperature..as i have dirty jeans and oily rags and stuff to wash regular...............

for years ive been fooling about with addertives to put in the machine to keep it clean...the pump and the element...its a pain in the rear and expensive...and you have to remember to shop for it...

well i got fed up...the machine wasnt heating up as quick as it should and the pump was running far too long ...so i thought ..STUFF IT.....

i squeezed half a bottle of Harpic limescale remover in to it...put the machine on the hottest setting...ran it for 1/2 an hour then turned it off....left it for a good hour...then turned it back on to complete the cycle...(i only use pods now..as the powder gums stuff up)

RESULT..........all the black mould has gone from the rubber seal...it heats up quicker and pumps out fast....it is working like new

Ditchmans "tip of the day"

Edited by ditchman

Sound advice , in my case you would need to start at the beginning and explain step by step from the time you have inserted the plug in the socket and switched the machine on , that I can manage , from then on I would be in uncharted waters so to speak , at the moment my wife say leave well alone and just stick to taking the dog out:lol:

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

i .....in my present position..............have to do all the washing....(washing machine).........i bought a whirlpool off gumtree 4 years ago...and we live in a hard area for water.....so the machine has to work hard getting the water up to temperature..as i have dirty jeans and oily rags and stuff to wash regular...............

for years ive been fooling about with addertives to put in the machine to keep it clean...the pump and the element...its a pain in the rear and expensive...and you have to remember to shop for it...

well i got fed up...the machine wasnt heating up as quick as it should and the pump was running far too long ...so i thought ..STUFF IT.....

i squeezed half a bottle of Harpic limescale remover in to it...put the machine on the hottest setting...ran it for 1/2 an hour then turned it off....left it for a good hour...then turned it back on to complete the cycle...(i only use pods now..as the powder gums stuff up)

RESULT..........all the black mould has gone from the rubber seal...it heats up quicker and pumps out fast....it is working like new

hello, thats interesting simon i might try that with my old grungy Indesit, 👍 

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

But did harpic get the oil out of your jeans? Or are they now pink? 😄

A washing machine repair man told me to use a biological washing power every now and then as it will remove the black stuff round the seal. He also said that a boil wash from time to time keeps the seal in good condition. I feel my wife should be saying this, not me.

I use pure soap flakes put straight into the drum and white vinegar as fabric conditioner in the drawer for every wash as OH has psoriasis and bio-wash irritates his skin. No black gunge in the soap drawer and no limescale build up.

I buy the soap flakes 10kg at a time and vinegar in 4 x 5 litre containers at a time, so it works out very economical.