Removing plastic fouling from shotgun barrels

Salopian

I tried all sorts to clean it out of my gun barrels. Every cleaner I had along with neat solvents. Boiling hot water as I'd shot black powder carts so scrubbed with soapy boiling water. Still had plastic fouling. In the end brush in drill cleaned in seconds to a sparkling finish.

Ed's red works due to having acetone in it.

11 hours ago, figgy said:

I tried all sorts to clean it out of my gun barrels. Every cleaner I had along with neat solvents. Boiling hot water as I'd shot black powder carts so scrubbed with soapy boiling water. Still had plastic fouling. In the end brush in drill cleaned in seconds to a sparkling finish.

Ed's red works due to having acetone in it.

Yes it does, but the OP wanted a means of removing plastic fouling, without using NEAT acetone! Eds red is not neat acetone....and it works! Lol!

5 hours ago, Salopian said:

Figgy , I have to agree , most commercial solvents available are actually useless at removing plastic , yet to find a good one hence my reason for starting the thread . Already had one set of scrap barrels due to pitting from moisture under the plastic.

That's the worrying thing with barrels that are not chromed. 

If you find a product post it up, would good to have. I use cleanzoil for all my main gun cleaning and wiling over the barrels. Only use other products now to remove carbon on the semi auto.

Clean when barrels are still hot if using plastic and that can shift it. Alternatively, switch to fibre and after running a few down the barrels it'll clean up. I never use plastic even on clays just to avoid the fouling issue. There's not much price difference now anyway. 

panoma1,

Please keep up .

I asked for any good ideas for removing plastic fouling from the shotgun barrels bores and forcing cones apart from neat acetone ( which I know works) .

I really would like to know if anyone has found a successful method to remove plastic fouling.

8 hours ago, Salopian said:

panoma1,

Please keep up .

I asked for any good ideas for removing plastic fouling from the shotgun barrels bores and forcing cones apart from neat acetone ( which I know works) .

I really would like to know if anyone has found a successful method to remove plastic fouling.

Salopian, how am I lagging behind? Lol! I answered your question! Eds Red!..............and referred mighty ruler to yourself, for an answer as to why you asked for a method, that didn't employ using neat acetone and a phosphor bronze brush in a battery drill!

Although I haven't used plastic wads for years the best way i have found of removing it was Sweet's 7.62 solvent. It is quite strong and ammonia based so it stinks and must not be left on for more than about 10 minutes.

I used to soak a PB brush in it, scrub the barrels for a few strokes and then leave for a few minutes. Then swab it out with patches around a jag. Repeat if necessary but 9/10 time it won't be