Supporting independent traders woe!

chrisjpainter

Where I can, I like to use local, independent traders and avoid the internet shopping, but this really got my goat! My motorcycle battery that charges the fishfinder on my yak was dead. I thought it was just the charger, so found a local indie dealer. He gave me a few options for charger. I took the cheapest one - it's not used loads - and would pick it up the next day. he'd charge the old one to see if it was holding charge. All good

So I go in the next day, pick up the charger and the guy says the battery's not holding charge, and could do a new one for £50. I was sceptical, so decided not to go for it (because you can pick up these for less than £20 on the internet, and that's just too much of a saving). I get home, only to discover the battery is holding charge perfectly!

I try to shop locally, but some places really make it hard work! GRRR. What happened to customer service and basic telling the truth!? 

My car battery started playing up last month, less than 2 years old so I went back to where I got it from. Didn't say too much, just "its really slow starting, think it's about time I had a new one." The bloke just put a tester across it and said "yep, it's knackered, you need a new one."

His face was a picture when I produced the receipt from 23 months ago, still in warranty!

This is why people shop on line! The only way the independents (and the high street) will survive, is to be competitive on price, as previous posters have said, honesty and service is in short supply when any business is trying to make money out of you!.....so you can only decide where to buy, on price!.....and if desperate for the item....convenience!

Not nagging but...

the internet shop is some guy dealing out of a garage /shed with no over heads😢

we have to earn £10,000 a month to break even . People come to us and say “but I can get it this much on the internet “ 

but then my staff ask for more wages( more than reasonable) 

i cant because people won’t pay it. 

Now shops ripping people off selling stuff on a lie is different . I try to be as honest as I can. Even shown the price I’m paying in the past.

30 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Not nagging but...

the internet shop is some guy dealing out of a garage /shed with no over heads😢

we have to earn £10,000 a month to break even . People come to us and say “but I can get it this much on the internet “ 

but then my staff ask for more wages( more than reasonable) 

This. Overheads are what puts the prices up. The Internet sellers can use a drop ship method so dont even have to hold any stock so have no Overheads bar we hosting and maybe design then can sell direct from a suppliers warehouse and never see the goods you buy off them, just your money hitting their account.