Benthejockey

Fallow deer

Talking to a farmer the other morning and a local walker had seen a couple of white deer. Ball cocks thought I. I’d seen a fallow pricket in the area early last year but this is a roe strong hold - even though I haven’t seen any for ages especially when I’ve been out shooting. Imagine my surprise when I checked a fresh camera trap that’s only been up a week or so and there’s white deer on it! Apparently a small herd of fallow does have moved in. What’s even more bizarre is there’s all colour types - common, Menil, leucistic and melanistic. I’m not up on fallow genetics, could this be natural variation or are they runaways from a collection? I’m going to feed them and hopefully they’ll stay. I’m absolutely amazed at the variation and that they’ve just appeared here. They look youngish does so could they have split off the main herd and formed their own little herd or is it more likely they’re on the run?

Where I ahoot I seem to get more menil, leucistic, melanistic than ‘normal’ colourations... couldn’t say much about how yours arrived though. 

D6278D60-AD74-4E5E-95FC-BB5EBB8B5AAF.jpeg

Certainly are... not exactly a evolutionary benefit. Stood out like a sore thumb this time of year. She’d have been laughing in the snow though!

I was out on my perm boxing day and if it wasent  for the white one with them i wouldn't have seen them in the wood running through still didn't get a shot   

Sounds like I’ve been lucky in finding all 4 colour variants but they’re not all that uncommon. I do wonder where they’ve come from though. There’s a herd that ranges over a vast territory on our side of the A49 but they’re all common coloured. But then they’d be easy enough to poach off the road whereas these new ones on the other side of the road are harder to find. I only found them more by accident than anything else!

Easy to see though:good:

This one was on full rut when I shot him and looked a brownish ginger colour with all the 'stain' flowing from him and muck he had thrown about. Major job for the taxidermist just to get the cape clean but he do a good job. This one was shot in 1986 and in Texas USA, free ranging and the whole herd was white.  Only think I have seen one white one in the UK in the wild over 40yrs on fallow territory.

367.JPG

Edited by Walker570

Even I could see those:yes::lol:  I bet they taste the same though.

If I remember that far back I believe Bramsill Police College used to have an enclosed herd of white fallow.  Mate of mine used to cull the coloured ones which got in occasionally.

Edited by Walker570

There’s a little black ****** in some of these photos and he’s the most camouflage of all of them. And the Menil and white stick out like beacons. 

On 11/01/2019 at 14:43, Benthejockey said:

There’s a little black ****** in some of these photos and he’s the most camouflage of all of them. And the Menil and white stick out like beacons. 

Its great to have one in a herd and leave it, makes it easy to find them... 

11 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Ive got 3 so one can come and live in my freezer 😂

On 12/01/2019 at 19:06, ShootingEgg said:

While i agree with the above, and have heard them called 'judas' fallow as give herd away.

But if a new herd on newish ground any white 1's will attract attention of undesirbles and u might end up the whole lot poached if ur in a bad area. So mibee take the lot??

It's a shame when u have to think like that

I spoke to the farmer after I’d seen the photos. I said not to tell anyone they’re about for that very reason. The main issue maybe how many people have already seen them. It’s a fairly quiet spot so hopefully they’ll be ok!

Aye but sadly if there was no white 1's even fewer folk would see them. They do stand out plus the 'novelty' factor

Sad when u have to manage deer for those reasons but sometimes better for the rest of them