Are side by side guns obsolete

Graham M

On 21/01/2019 at 10:27, Dibble said:

The desire to find s technological answer to a problem (or fiddle around with stuff) seems a fundamental part of human (Male) nature, I know a Carp fisherman who has a 3000 pound Bait Boat, GPS controlled to deliver his hook and groundbait precisely  where he wants, it also has fish finding sonar. A golf playing colleague has a GPS watch that automatically tells him the precise distance to the nearest hole.

I have the same tendency and went down the 30" multichoke sporter route and researched the advantages of 7.5 or 8 shot, thought maybe size 9 and open choke would help me on some stands I should buy a box of those as well, a green glowing bead might help.......maybe fix a GoPro to the barrel.........Some Yellow Glasses.........Extended Choke Tubes....

Of course this gives Gun Dealers a lot of other Stuff to sell.

The joy of a nice SxS is you just pick it up and shoot it, your only choice is what trigger to pull first, I came of some stands on Sunday grinning, generally the short range, fast moving ones.

If you know where the clay is coming from and going to heavy O/Us have the advantage and people seem to call No Bird if its slightly off line, I have a crack at them.

I miss a lot on the more "Aimed" stands, but feel I miss with style.

All too true, but the point about heavy O/Us for clays is that it reduces the felt recoil whilst shooting lots of targets.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

.... the point about heavy O/Us for clays is that it reduces the felt recoil whilst shooting lots of targets.

..... and presumably the same must apply to a heavy S/S.    Won't the felt recoil be governed mainly by weight and stock dimensions, rather than by orientation of the barrels?

37 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

..... and presumably the same must apply to a heavy S/S.    Won't the felt recoil be governed mainly by weight and stock dimensions, rather than by orientation of the barrels?

Not nessesarily so 

there 2 totally different things 

however the off the shelf ou will suit most people and be forgiving 

gun fit is most important with a side by side 

a badley fitting one will knock you to pieces on a heavy days shooting 

cost of production is the main reason the ou is popular they can be produced far cheaper than the equivalent ss 

10 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Yes I guess it would, my heaviest SxS is nearly 7lb in weight, my heaviest O/U over 8 1/2, that is where the difference lies. 

If shooting a driven day I go with a nice light SxS.

If shooting a 100 or more clays I stick to a nice long heavy O/U.

29 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

An alternative might be a nice long heavy S/S.    Something like an AYA Super Solway with 32" barrels and weighing about 8lb.

Yes that would be an option, but I shall continue to use my SxS's for game and Pigeons and my O/Us for clays. It seems to work quite well that way!

Is the recoil aspect of the o/us weight over the SxSs relevant now? . Back in the day when i shot trap 32 gram or more then yes  recoil was an aspect, but now they shoot 24 gram dont they?  a 6 1/2 lb game gun IF IT FITS YOU!   Should be just fine.

3 hours ago, B B said:

Is the recoil aspect of the o/us weight over the SxSs relevant now? . Back in the day when i shot trap 32 gram or more then yes  recoil was an aspect, but now they shoot 24 gram dont they?  a 6 1/2 lb game gun IF IT FITS YOU!   Should be just fine.

2 hours ago, Dibble said:

I shoot 24G and happily shoot 100 clays. 

You are throwing 15% less lead at the clay so it probably affects my score, they are cheaper though.

Horses for courses, I take my clays reasonably seriously, so do not cut down on the amount of lead in each shell, that way if I do my bit and the choke and cartridge combination are good it will result in a broken clay. I shoot similar ounces of shot from the SxS's and the main advantage is the light weight of the gun. I wouldn't dream of taking any of the 32" O/U's out on the game days, I have done it on the pigeons and saw no advantage.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Syntax!

I switched to 24g in my SxS a couple of years back for clays and haven't noticed any deterioration in my scores. Shooting 100 28g in a relatively short space of time was not that pleasant for me.

Wasn't expecting there to be much difference but I found the 24g way more comfortable to shoot and didn't feel in any way disadvantaged by the lighter load. I'm tempted to try a round with 21g but I suspect that might be a step too far.

4 hours ago, MrPhantom said:

I switched to 24g in my SxS a couple of years back for clays and haven't noticed any deterioration in my scores. Shooting 100 28g in a relatively short space of time was not that pleasant for me.

Wasn't expecting there to be much difference but I found the 24g way more comfortable to shoot and didn't feel in any way disadvantaged by the lighter load. I'm tempted to try a round with 21g but I suspect that might be a step too far.

be interesting how you got on if you did....I went through a slab of Hull Comp X 21gr and did not notice the difference on my scoring on sporting clays....

Edited by prem1234

5 hours ago, MrPhantom said:

Agreed and I actually now use 21g (Hull CompX) for all my clays.