Sign in to follow this  
Mungler

Vauxhall Corsa Flat Battery, Locked Out of Car

So this morning the eldest has found his Vauxhall Corsa has a flat battery. No problem I thought, I've just bought a jump pack ready for this sort of occasion.

Turns out, we can't get into the car - old fashioned key turned in lock does nothing and can't open boot or passenger door.

I thought "this is an obvious design flaw, surely there's a way of getting in / at the battery and firing it all up again". According to Google, no.

The Google advice is jack the car up and somehow gain access to the battery compartment.

Does anyone have a better idea (and that doesn't involve a broken window).

Cheers all.

If the keys definitely a no go, Ive always had good success with a straightened out wire coat hanger, or a bit of welding rod if you have any.
Slide it in from the top of the door frame, stick a bend in it and flick the door handle from the inside, this should open the door (unless deadlocked) the alarm might go off, but put the key in ignition and it should stop.

This gives you the basic idea, except in this video he is trying to hit his central lock button, you would be trying to hook around the door handle.

Alas it appears that the car is deadlocked through the central locking - how that works I don't know because I always thought that in a traditional car door lock, the key in the lock was the trump card. Following on, there is no "physical" or traditional locking mechanism to get at.

I would add that there is only 1 key lock to the vehicle (the driver's door) and so there's no key lock for the passenger door or boot. I guess that the physical key lock triggers some sort of actuator that fires up the electric central locking.

It just seems so ridiculous that an obvious and almost certain even (like a flat battery) results in a physical lock out of the car, and which leads me to suspect that I am missing something (other than a fully charged battery).

Edited by Mungler

Jack the car up and put the jump pack positive onto the starter motor and the negative onto the car, this will be enough to get power into the car to use the remote central locking to open it.

13 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I guess that the physical key lock triggers some sort of actuator that fires up the electric central locking.

Thats correct , but usually deadlocking involves a double press on the lock button.
What year is the car ?

1 minute ago, Luckyshot said:

Jack the car up and put the jump pack positive onto the starter motor and the negative onto the car, this will be enough to get power into the car to use the remote central locking to open it.

This will work if you can get at the big + on the starter without touching the casing or engine ( or there will be lots of sparks !)

Another way, using the hook method is to try to pop the bonnet release, get someone to spot for you on the other side.

13 minutes ago, Luckyshot said:

This will not work because the positive on the starter is fed via the solenoid so you will need to put the power to the solenoid supply. The solenoid is usually bolted to in a piggy back fashion to the starter and has several wires going to it, two large ones and one ore more smaller ones. You will need to put the power to the large wire feeding it and usually going up into the engine bay. It would probably be a good idea to watch a youtube video on how the change the starter as this will probably show you which wire is the feed.

Could be wrong but don't cars, these days, come with a "master" key that unlocks all doors - not electric just a plain ordinary key - ask your local dealer.

28 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Could be wrong but don't cars, these days, come with a "master" key that unlocks all doors - not electric just a plain ordinary key - ask your local dealer.

Better still, just get your local dealer to truck it away and fix it.

As you don't know what you are doing, why risk it?

I refer you to Hilaire Belloc's tale of Lord Finchley

Worse case could you not smash the grill and open the bonnet that way?

Or call the RAC they are bound to have seen the issue before

Edited to add the 2014 and 17 manual says the door should be able to be opened by the key

Fault in central locking system Unlocking Manually unlock the driver's door by turning the key in the lock. The other doors can be opened by pulling the interior handle twice. The load compartment and fuel filler flap cannot be opened.

Edited by ph5172

Cheers chaps - I’ll have a stab at a few ideas when I get home. There’s nothing in the engine bay apart from space where a proper sized engine should be and so getting the jump pack onto any positive terminal looks like the best option. 

Forward planning

Before you ever get a problem, have a good look under the bonnet and completely familiarise yourself with the way the bonnet release catch is operated, and where it is. Most cars its just a cable pulling a glorified latch.  You can reach up under the front of the car and give it a tug, or hook it. It all comes down to knowing where it is and which way to pull it. An AA man can release most bonnets in seconds 

Many door key locks are just an electric switch these days not lever operated releases as they were years ago

Edited by Vince Green

58 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You can reach up under the front of the car and give it a tug,

Maybe if youve got really long thin arms, and after youve took the engine trays off.

On 11/01/2019 at 11:55, ph5172 said:

The other doors can be opened by pulling the interior handle twice

This the way forward, takes me about 2 minutes on most cars.

What's the point of having a key and keyhole then? Seems odd.

17 minutes ago, walshie said:

What's the point of having a key and keyhole then? Seems odd.

Thats what its for TBH , but he says it doesnt work for some reason ?

I find in incredible that there's no easy work around for a totally flat battery. Is this specific to Vauxhall or is it common on modern cars. Enquiring minds need to know.

27 minutes ago, Westward said:

I find in incredible that there's no easy work around for a totally flat battery. Is this specific to Vauxhall or is it common on modern cars. Enquiring minds need to know.

Most modern cars won't unlock on a totally flat battery these days because the locking system is electrical rather than mechanical.

But like I said in a previous post, it only takes a few seconds to unlatch most bonnets from underneath if you know how to.

Is there not a cap that covers the passenger door key hole that pops off to use your key?

As surfer says .most modern cars open with key on passenger door 

Sometimes you need to turn the key, pull the handle, turn the key again for the dead locks to open. 

Sometimes your screwed though and a new windscreen (cheapest) is in order. 

You haven't said what year the vehicle is,? give the lock another go spray WD40 in there.. as said if you can get underneath an release the bonnet catch if not get a battery or battery pack an using a length of cable and small crocodile clip see if you can connect to the positive to the main starter cable or main cable on the alternator  once connected then connect the negative to an earth point on the vehicle then use the key fob.. if in doubt get someone out..

If all else fails could you take out the rear number plate light and put a jump to the connecting wires?

Edited by silver pigeon69