Mother Lines ????

Gerry78

Lads I know this has probably been debated before but wanted to ask s few questions regarding using mother lines for decoys Most of my duck shooting has been fresh water the odd time I go to the foreshore I hid in a gutter with muddy dog 🐕Now come New season 2019 will be shooting a new bit of foreshore with 1 to 2 meter tide depending on the weather and a Motherline a must Q1 what size of weight would forum recommend on end of line Q2 I’ve seen motherline clips on net than can be clipped onto decoys then mother line the clips apparently don’t move on the main line Q3 Would you hook decoys on line first then put out Sorry if the serious Fowler’s (foreshore) roll there eyes but any information for better decoying would be helpful 👍

I use a 0.7kg weight and find it suitable for even the strongest curent. Always use a tangle free line from your decoys with a deep sea fishing line clip that can clamp on to the mother line at the other end. plenty of videos on you tube to help and some good British companies to get all your bits from, just make sure you shop about as a vast difference in price. I always put motherline out at low tide and put decoys on as I go. 

Hope this helps

19 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Thanks another question how far would you space out the decoys on mother line mate said over 3 feet apart so they dont tangle ?

I would say 4 plus feet depending on location and strength of tide. Something else you might want to try is attaching a cable clip to the back of the decoy keel to form a loop - theres usually a hole - and then you can put two deeks in tandem. It avoids the ducks in a row look.

On 11/01/2019 at 23:15, Gerry78 said:

Lads I know this has probably been debated before but wanted to ask s few questions regarding using mother lines for decoys Most of my duck shooting has been fresh water the odd time I go to the foreshore I hid in a gutter with muddy dog 🐕Now come New season 2019 will be shooting a new bit of foreshore with 1 to 2 meter tide depending on the weather and a Motherline a must Q1 what size of weight would forum recommend on end of line Q2 I’ve seen motherline clips on net than can be clipped onto decoys then mother line the clips apparently don’t move on the main line Q3 Would you hook decoys on line first then put out Sorry if the serious Fowler’s (foreshore) roll there eyes but any information for better decoying would be helpful 👍

None. A 2 1/2 foot stake made from 2 x 1 with a hole drilled in the top with a loop of paracord to attach the mother line to. Push stake into the mud at low water, unreel and pull over x amount of mother line off to allow for tidal rise, clip decoys on as you make your way back to dry land, allowing space between them for the decoys to turn on the change of the tide and not tangle. The beauty of using stakes is that you can pull them out at any state of the tide and they bop to the surface, so no chance of the weight getting snacked, plus, there isn't the weight to lug out there in the first place.

Edited by Penelope